1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

blowing up white birds

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Bolts, May 11, 2007.

1. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    My first photos with my new 'grown-up' camera (D80) worth posting!

A very cooperative seagull. You can almost see him dozing off while he waits patiently for me to fiddle with my camera.

JonLivingstonGull.

Fight!

View attachment 94993

And a sparrow. (Bird tails will be the bane of my existence.)

View attachment 94994

And a tri-colored in a sea of hydrilla...

View attachment 94995

2. White birds here in sunny Florida can be quite challenging.

You've blown the highlights on these shots rendering the white areas in the seagulls without any detail. Try to check your highlights while shooting and then adjust your exposure compensation down as needed to eliminate the "blinkies".

3. robthorn

robthorn Guest

ha, with the title I was going to suggest a large firecracker ;)  I never noticed their beaks being so long.
    how's the smoke treating you guys? I ended up taking half the day off from coughing so much.

4. I'm working in Largo today and the smoke is really impressive. Visibility is poor and many patients are coughing and tearing.

My wife has asthma and my youngest daughter is getting over croup. I'm trying to get them to stay indoors.

The wind seems to be coming from the South now which should help to clear the air a bit.

5. These were shot with Exposure Comp at 0.0, I shoot Canon and would recommend taking a shot and looking at histogram for Whites and Darks and make adjustments to EC accordingly

6. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Although I am in Tampa, the gulls and sparrow were shot in California. Maybe Western Gulls have longer beaks than our local Laughing and Herring Gulls?

Mitch/Gary, I am green enough that I check practically every shot I take for exposure/focus/etc. For some reason, I don't always get the blinkies until I'm home sorting through the shots. Maybe it's the glare of being outside. Seems I spend half my time adjusting EC while in the field when shooting in shade though. Darn white birds (and the black birds aren't much better!)

Do D80s tend to overexpose?

(The smoke here on Westshore is finally clearing a bit. This morning from the 11th floor of my office building, we could not see Spruce Street a 1/2 block away. I'm trying not to complain, because there's probably thousands of people that have it worse than us. At least Tampa is not on fire, eh?)

Pia

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2007
  7. robthorn

robthorn Guest

oh yeah I agree. we are way better off than the places actually on fire. I needed some time to play my guitar a while anyway before the wife gets home. excusses, excusses I know ;) 

8. Yeah Bolts it looks to me you blew the whites pretty good. If your new to the camera why not let the camera do it's own thing and see how the colors turn out. Set it to default settings and in the Auto mode. I would just make two changes than and that being set the tone to Adobe RGB and the file selection to RAW so the camera see's just what's there. If you get good colors there great and if the whites are still a bit out try the selective color adjustment (if you have PSCS) and see if you can tone down the whites. White and yellow are tough and untill you get to know your camera and lens you will have to keep playing with the EV. Don't feel bad about a bald eagle with a glowing head :biggrin: :biggrin: You know that saying S*&^% Happens Keep trying.
    Lou

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.