Blown highlights don't mean bad shots

Discussion in 'People' started by ponykilr, Jun 15, 2007.

1. ponykilr

ponykilr

May 23, 2007
    usa
    Sometimes I have found that blown highlights don't have to mean a bad shot. Sometimes they can make a shot look more "real" even. I have a few that I took back at an Easter egg hunt. This wasnt portraiture but just snapshots during all the action. These have blown highlights in them. Do you think it "blows" the shot? Sound off, Highlights critical? Or does it depend? Inquiring minds want to know.

DSC_6090_DXO.

View attachment 100902

View attachment 100903

2. I think all three shots are fine for shooting in uncontrollable/harsh lighting conditions. #2 IMO, is adorable.

3. I agree... #2 is adorable.

4. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    That first shot would look good on Metallic paper.

5. As always I think it has to do with what you are trying to accomplish with the shot. Not that we always set out to accomplish everything that happens in the image we get.

I agree with your basic premise and find the first shot interesting. Picture of a young attractive gal on a bright sunny day! If you were trying for a portrait you may have selected more friendly light, maybe more formal clothes, etc...

But this is not the shot you were shooting. You have captured this young person in a "less artifical" circumstance and her facial features (specifically the eyes and expression) easily hold my attention such that I don't find the highlights distracting.

6. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

i don't have a problem with it ...a little ca doesn't bother me either...nice shots ...;-))

7. ponykilr

ponykilr

May 23, 2007
    usa
    Ok, so most say a little blown highlight action in snaps is totally acceptable. Does it actually add anything to the shot? would it look less "real" or "accurate" if the blown areas were not there? This is art and is totally without hard and fast rules. Anybody?

8. cuss2much

cuss2much Guest

I agree with you...