Blue Angels (long)

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Philippe Roger, Oct 10, 2005.

1. It was a beautiful and sunny day by the Bay and the Blue Angels came back to San Francisco for Fleet Week, after missing last year. It was a spectacular performance.

I shot over 1400 NEF exposures with the 70-200 + 1.7 TCEII (many of them nearly identical, thanks to the "machine gun" mode of the D2H) and have my work cut out for post-processing. This is a quick and dirty first pass at it, with no any cropping, except where levelling the water or the bridge tower was necessary, and on the portrait image (was shot in landscape).

Here they come! :smile: :biggrin:
    39423241-O.

Vapor on the wings
    39423234-O.

Into the sun
    39423245-O.

Tight formation
    39423226-O.

Thunder by the Bay
    39423246-O.

High speed, low altitude!
    39423230-O.

Just nuts!
    39423232-O.

Follow the leader
    [​IMG]

Not much room for error!
    [​IMG]

Not a multiple exposure :smile:
    [​IMG]

Pulling some Gs
    [​IMG]

Into the blue yonder! :biggrin:
    [​IMG]

2. Wonderful shots, Philippe. Different angles from Ricky's, and equally impressive.

Wish I were there.

3. Amazing series Philippe... They were in Greece a month ago and I missed them :-((((

4. Wonderful shots, Phillipe. The bridge really adds to the shots. As a former Navy pilot I have to really appreciate how close they fly. We used to try to imitate them around the carrier (it's a male thing, of course) but these guys are so smooth!

Rich

5. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Wonderful series, Phillipe! I saw the Blue Angels perform many years ago - they put on a great show!

6. Wow! You had a great day, Philippe! I, on the other hand, spent the weekend on the floor... on my knees, laying and grouting bathroom tile. :Dizzy:. But, since I don't have a camera anyway, it was a productive distraction, and made the boss happy :smile:.

I thought this shot was particularly impressive!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2005
  7. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Cool shots. Good luck going through all the pictures, make sure to take breaks and rest the eyes :eek:

8. No question about it the Blue Angels are an amazing group and your pictures prove it. Wish I could have been there, actually I will be out your way next week to shoot a wedding. Really nice images you have here.

9. fabulous, glad I took the time to look at these.

10. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi philippe-

wonderful shots, it doesn't look like you needed any extra reach :) i should hang around with you at the next fleet week!

ricky

11. Thanks you all, folks, for your appreciation and encouragement.

It was great fun to be there and it will be for a long time, post-processing these: I will try to follow Todd's advice and go at it slowly. :smile: Still, I am pretty pleased with the material I've got to work with: of course a 300 f/4 + 1.4 TC on a D2X (particularly in HSC mode, for that 8 fps, which I used quite a bit with the D2H) would have been even "nicer", but I can't complain, can I? :eek: These totally trump what I was able to take with the 5700 2 years ago! :biggrin:

Ricky, I could have used longer reach at times, that's for sure... It would be fun to hang out at the next one, in October 2006! :wink:

For those of you who enjoyed the bridge shots (Frank and Rich in particular), here are a couple more. The first one is "Fat Albert", the logistics plane, C-130, that accompanies the Angels on their tour. I realized afterwards that the shutter speed was too high to allow the propellers to blur, but I have some other ones where it should be Ok... stay tuned!

"Fat Albert"
    [​IMG]

Another pass over the Golden Gate
    [​IMG]

12. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Great captures...each and every one.

13. Philippe, great shots -each and every one, the background scenery really adds to your photos. Anxious to see more of these, if you don't mind, when you post showing prop motion please let us know the shutter speed used to help the rest of us for future air shows.
    Thanks for sharing,

Mike

14. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Great shots - strong lines and colors in several of the photos.

15. Yee Ha! I stopped flying just as the F-18 was being introduced. Wish I could have flown one. I did actually get to go mach 1 in an A4. I started at 43000 feet and pushed it straight down and bumped in and out of mach.

...really stupid thing to do..REALLY stupid;:eek:

but I was young and invincible! Our mottos then were:

1. live fast die young, leave a good looking corpse
    2. Better die than look bad

:biggrin:

16. Geez Rich, that must have been a helluvva ride in that Scooter :eek: :eek: :eek:

17. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hey Philippe,

As everyone else has stated, these images are just awesome and the ones with the bridge in the background are so cool. The beautiful blue sky is really nice along with the blue color of the jets. Great action...makes you appreciate the capabilities of the machine gun...er...uh, D2H!!!!! I shot 3,600 images during two of the three days of the Chicago Air and Water Show...the machine gun was smoking!!! Thanks for sharing.

18. Gibby Fan

Gibby Fan Guest

Beautiful Photographs

Absolutely stunning photographs.

19. It was. At m.97 you get control reversal; pushing forward pulls the nose up and visa-versa.

The automobile equivalent of flying a scooter is like driving a Mazda Miata (MX5 to our European friends).......hmm...maybe that's why I owned a Miata for 10 years.

Go figure.

:cool: :cool: