1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Blue Beast

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Beezle, Oct 28, 2005.

1. If you might recall I was having issues with my 28-70, discussed in this thread:

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=54949

Received the lens back from El Segundo this week and gave it a try. They report they fixed some mechanical things such as replacing the "helicoil."

I am finding the lens still produces quite reliable blue blooming around specular highlights. At first I thought it was less than it was, and it may be, but for flash photography I would say this is a spoiler for this lens. I do not see this with any of my other lenses. Also tried on 3 Nikon bodies and even a Canon and it is fairly easy to reproduce.

So before I go on pestering Nikon about it, could I convince someone else with this lens to try an experiment for me? I would be eternally grateful.

Take a sheet of aluminum foil and wrinkle it up a bit. Then photograph the shiny side using a flash and the beast at around 50-70mm, f4. I used an SB800 with the diffuser, TTL, +2.0 EV to force the issue.

Then have a look at the image and tell me if you see any blue fringing around the brightest highlights.

The idea being, if this is simply the nature of the lens, I won't waste Nikon's time begging for a replacement. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. did you ever get the chance to try Uncle Franks?

3. I did not, and if he isn't on to further adventures in air travel, I might have to see about buying him a coffee or something.

4. Hi, Ed. I'm back in town, so if you want to run a comparison with my Beast, give a shout.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.