Blue Car - Blue Filter

Real Name
Ken St John
This is an image of our new Explorer that I really like in color. Thought I'd try a B&W treatment ...
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

When I process images in Silver Efex Pro 2, I normally start out using an Orange filter; but in this case that really messed up the background. After trying several different options, I found that using a blue filter created quite a striking image. (FYI - the car is actually a bright blue metallic.)

Your thoughts?

Cheers!!

Ken

Gives a really dynamic look, Ken!
Great result.

If I'm not mistaken, a blue filter will make the blues brighter and the complementary tones darker.

Real Name
Ken St John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Gives a really dynamic look, Ken!
Great result.

If I'm not mistaken, a blue filter will make the blues brighter and the complementary tones darker.
Yes, I found a reference that said it also increases contrast ... which makes sense here. The background was the problem. Both without a filter and with the orange or red that I normally use, for some reason the background just became super bright and made the image look terrible. I'm not sure why as it's just grass and light sand!! Perhaps it had to do with the "magic hour" sunlight coming from behind me.

Cheers!!

Ken

Real Name
Ken St John
FWIW if anyone would like to "play" with this ... here's the original color image.

Cheers!!

Ken

The background is especially yellow-orange and green.
Green - yellow - orange - red will make these brighter and darken the blue, to the point of almost black.
The difference between the background and the car is enhanced this way

Do you know that you can dial down the strength of the colour filter in SEP? The default strength of the colours is different
And you're not restricted to the proposed colours either, you can manipulate the Hue slider as well

Yes, I found a reference that said it also increases contrast ... which makes sense here. The background was the problem. Both without a filter and with the orange or red that I normally use, for some reason the background just became super bright and made the image look terrible. I'm not sure why as it's just grass and light sand!! Perhaps it had to do with the "magic hour" sunlight coming from behind me.

Cheers!!

Ken

Had a go in Luminar Flex.
2020 Explorer ST2.jpeg

Could have ended up in different looks at the end but important thing was to add a B&W filter layer early with a blue filter with a "multiply" blend.
This gives a colour image with a tamed background. Could then proceed with conversion as desired.

Real Name
Ken St John
Had a go in Luminar Flex.View attachment 1664792

Could have ended up in different looks at the end but important thing was to add a B&W filter layer early with a blue filter with a "multiply" blend.
This gives a colour image with a tamed background. Could then proceed with conversion as desired.
Very nice ... I like this a lot!! The nose and hood look much better!! I rarely think of working in Flex anymore for B&W as I stubbornly still with SEP ... I'll rethink that!! Thanks!!

Ken

I much prefer either of the 2 B&W versions, Dayo's has better separation from the background but Ken's version makes the Ford look especially formal! The color version is rather garish/neon, so a very good candidate for conversion.

Real Name
Ken St John
Worked on this one in DxO PL3 ... which is the first time I've used PL3 for B&W work. I also have their film pack, and selected Kodak Tri-X as a starting point, then played a bit with the blue filter here as well. Strikes me as almost 3D, ... the only thing I don't like is the light shadow between the wheel/fog light on the left. It looks OK in the original, but but a bit more noticeable here.

I think I'll have to look a bit more at PL3 for conversions rather than just jumping to Silver Efex right away!!
Shiny Explorer-8_DxO_DxO.jpg

Cheers!!

Ken

Real Name
Ken St John
The color of your car is very cool, Ken. For the image I definitely prefer the b&w versions. They give your car attitude!
Thanks! I'll admit it's absolutely beautiful in person. I spent some time on it last week polishing and waxing it ... and it looks glorious in the sunshine!! Too bad it's been cloudy and rainy for most of this week ...

Cheers!!

Ken

You could manipulate that light shadow with a local adjustment in PL3.

Also, just as an information, if you have FilmPack, I much prefer to handle the colour output from PL3 in FilmPack afterwards. I find the user interface a lot better than the in PL3 integrated version.
Just the opposite of ViewPoint by the way :)
For me the deciding factor for choosing between SEP and FilmPack seems the be the depth of field of the image: shallow depth of field -> FilmPack and great or normal depth of field -> SEP. Not a hard "rule" of course.

Worked on this one in DxO PL3 ... which is the first time I've used PL3 for B&W work. I also have their film pack, and selected Kodak Tri-X as a starting point, then played a bit with the blue filter here as well. Strikes me as almost 3D, ... the only thing I don't like is the light shadow between the wheel/fog light on the left. It looks OK in the original, but but a bit more noticeable here.

I think I'll have to look a bit more at PL3 for conversions rather than just jumping to Silver Efex right away!!
View attachment 1664793
Cheers!!

Ken

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom