Blue Grouse and Goshawk

Discussion in 'Birds' started by hillrg, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Female Blue Grouse
    D2X 300/4 1/640s f/4 ISO 200 handheld

Female Goshawk
    D2X 500/4 1.4x 1/13s f/5.6 ISO 100 Remote release & mirror lockup
    View attachment 10304

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent shots Rory. You must have been sitting in the Grouse's lap.... 8)

3. That really was a productive trek into the wood, great shots Rory.

4. Those are excellent to outstanding.

Really like the Goshawk.

Russ

5. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Excellent! Question re MLU

Both these shots are excellent, Rory, and really pop off the screen. Same laborious workflow for the Goshawk?
    My question is: How does MLU differ from Exposure Delay mode? I don't have any experience with MLU.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow these are really great..

They are trained right :>))

7. Re: Excellent! Question re MLU

Hi Steve

I shot the Goshawk a little differently this time. I used my remote release and shot at low ISO and a 1/13s exposure - with much better results I think.

MLU is a two step process where the mirror is raised the first time you push the remote button. After the vibration dies down you push the button a second time actuating the shutter, which results in much less vibration. Shutter delay simply introduces a delay between pressing the shutter release button and the mirror flip / shutter opening. The delay gives you time to let go of the camera, eliminating hand held camera shake, but not mirror vibration.

Now that I know there is nothing wrong with my D2X I know any focus issues are technique - so I am working on the technique!

8. There is no fooling you, Gale :lol: For a small fee, room and board I would be happy to come to Florida and train all your birds :lol: :lol:

9. Hi Frank

Yes, I was close. She was on one of our logging roads. As I approached I must have gotten close to her chicks, which I never did see. She attacked me and then led me off. I was fortunate to have ideal lighting - bright overcast skies.

Later the same day, I saw another grouse on a old road. While approaching her I nearly stepped on 7 chicks feeding on the road :!: They scattered before I could get a photo. They sure do blend in and are really cute.

10. Hi Rory

All shots are beautifully done, thanks for the explanation on tecnique. Have to read up on that one. LOL...................

Keith

11. Re: Hi Rory

Hi Keith

There is just too much to know :)

12. Great captures.

13. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Rory that goshawk is impressive

Majestic animal,beautiful captured

14. Wonderful pictures Rory.