Blue Heron goes fishing (large)

Discussion in 'Annual Alabama Sessions' started by Frits, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Well folks, y'all :smile: know that this is not my cup of tea. I have no experience with this kind of photography at all, but enjoyed tremendously being out there with the best of you (just fix me up with some eagles the next time, ya hear me Frank!??).

Anyhow, bear with me - here is my very first shot at this:
    (all with Nikkor Ai-S 300mm f/2.8 & TC-14E)

Getting hungry, rummaging along the shoreline.

original.

All right, there seems to be some action out there...

View attachment 88360

In the hunt, got my eyes peeled.

View attachment 88361

Got one, big one too!!

View attachment 88362

And I ain't gonna let go!!

View attachment 88363

He's mine now!

View attachment 88364

This is going to be good, yummy...

View attachment 88365

Gosh, it's a biggie!

View attachment 88366

Down the hatch!!

View attachment 88367

OOF, I'm good for a while...

View attachment 88368

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2007
  2. Nice Series Frits

3. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    I've spent countless hours over the years at the dam and I never tire of watching a GBH eat a big fish. Wonderful series Frits! By the way, I had to make a quick business trip to Hsv. and stopped by the dam on the way home and spotted two juvi eagles as soon as I drove up. Didn't have a camera with me of course.:redface:

4. Wow Andy, I would have loved to see those on Sunday!

5. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Good series Fritz. I'm glad you enjoyed shooting the dam herons.
    I'm still processing my pics from the gardens. I'll get to my dam pics sooner or later.

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Great set Frits. Now you can begin to understand why we spend so much time at the dam. :wink:

7. Well, Frits, I think you're hooked now! Next comes that big bazooka! Great photos BTW

8. Oh yes Frank, I think I could get hooked easily if I had this within reasonable distance. My bank account is grateful though that it isn't - all that glass!!

9. These are lovely, Frits! Wow, for a first time out, you did really well! Super well!

10. Thanks Connie! A bit more work with my old manual focus Ai-S 300mm f/2.8 (with a 1.4 TC), but certainly OK.

11. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Nice series, Frits!

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great stuff Frits:>))
    A birdie shooter.. huh...lolol

13. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    I didn't mention the bazillion hours over the years I have spent there and never clicked the shutter. I was chuckling to myself the other day when I saw the two young eagles that if I had been on a photo outing I wouldn't have spotted them. A camera seems to be eagle repellent sometimes! :tongue:

14. Very nice, Frits.
    For a manual 300mm quite good. You most certainly are quite adept at handling this lens.
    You know, a 500mm (or 600mm, of course) can take some very nice shots,
    if you might be thinking along the bird lines, that is...

15. Thank you Cheryle!
    Other then 2 very specific lenses, I shoot with manual Nikkors exclusively. This is by choice (I had some of the finest zooms and an AF 300 / 2.8 - sold them!).
    I like to work with manual lenses, I find that it makes you think a bit more about the shot. Also, there are a number of excellent MF lenses by Nikon that today can be had for very little $$$.
    On the long end I am OK with my 300 (I sometimes use a TC-14E with it). I don't consider myself a birder, in fact this was my very first experience at this (I must say I liked it a lot!).

16. Hey Frits

Did you hear the latest rumour - nikon is coming out with the 600/3.5 VRII AF-S lens! Just what you need!

Kidding of course :smile:

Great shots - tough exposures.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.