Critique Blue Hour and the Cherry Blossom

I always took the cherry blossom after sunrise but tried something different this year and shot one in blue hour. Last year, I reached at Tidal Basin at around 6:30 am and couldn't find a single parking spot. This year, I decided to go bit earlier and took advantage of early morning blue hour. As always, your comments are welcome.
cherry-blossom-in-blue-hour.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I agree on cherry part being dark but I tried to bump up exposure little bit to make it more visible and that made whole picture little washed out. Here is the version with little more light and let me know what is your thoughts.

And yes I got lucky about the wind on this photo. I have other shots where trees are blurred in long exposure.
UME_0916-5.jpg

Last edited:
And here are couple of shots of MLK Memorial hitting with the sunlight. I tried one focusing on MLK and other on Cherry but not sure which one is better composition. I love your inputs on these as well.

UME_0938-2.jpg

UME_0943.jpg

Last edited:
I agree on cherry part being dark but I tried to bump up exposure little bit to make it more visible and that made whole picture little washed out.

I prefer the mood of the first photo. If you have the post-processing skill to select and brighten only the cherry blossoms, that would be my preference. It's an important skill to learn if you haven't gotten that far along the learning curve.

The first version of MLK is really nice and different.

I prefer the mood of the first photo. If you have the post-processing skill to select and brighten only the cherry blossoms, that would be my preference. It's an important skill to learn if you haven't gotten that far along the learning curve.

Thanks for your continued feedback. I tried harder last night and came up with this version.
UME_0916-8.jpg

This most recent version is very tasteful and by far my favorite. Very well done!

Thank you so much for your guidance. I couldn't see what I was missing before your comment. Now, I can clearly see what was missing in that photo. It's still not the best but I think it's going into right direction.

Thanks again Mike!

No skill needed to do this with Nikon Nx2 can be done in 2 sec with u points

Your last revision works well for me. A beautiful image! The strong part of the reflection of the moon is a small distraction for me though. If the image was mine I would just clone out that strong bottom part as it doesn't add to the image anyway:rolleyes:

Your last revision works well for me. A beautiful image! The strong part of the reflection of the moon is a small distraction for me though. If the image was mine I would just clone out that strong bottom part as it doesn't add to the image anyway:rolleyes:

Thank you. I didn't notice it until you mentioned it. Now that is the first thing I see in my picture

Latest threads

Top Bottom