Blue Jay!

Excellent picture and a very pretty Blue Jay! Diane, this is the best one yet and I am sure there are more to come. WTG!!!

Excellent picture and a very pretty Blue Jay! Diane, this is the best one yet and I am sure there are more to come. WTG!!!
Oh Thanks so much Debbie! I've been getting out on my patio no matter the weather - except rain. I've been trying to put myself through challenges with lighting and just about everything else! It's definitely fun sitting out there and watching the birdies and everything else that shows up! Thanks!

Wow. This is a beautiful shot. You are really doing great with that lens. First the flower now this.

Great shot Dianne! We only have one or two around here - when they feed the pay more attention to keeping other birds away from the feeder than actually feeding.

WOW! Thanks Lisa! WOW! Let's see if I can answer everything! I'm flattered!

1. Yes - I've learned the hard way - ALWAYS use tripod (or mono)
2. Yes, the nikkor 1.4 TC does allow for auto focus with my 300mm afs f4 lens - I only use nikkor lenses with nikkor attachments (make sense?)
3. I shot in aperture priority mode

I experimented with the WB (white balance) in auto and then back to cloudy. I had my sb800 attached to the camera with the better beamer attached to that.

I've also learned (the hard way!) to check my highlights and histogram often! I adjust the EV settings when I get the "blinkies." I'm also proud to say Frank (eng45ine) has been coaching me and is wonderful! Any more questions? hey, we'll learn together! Just get out there and shoot something!
Thank you for your detailed response. I'm going to keep practicing. That blue jay is just outstanding. I'll have to agree with the other poster who said the only way to improve it is to frame it and hang it on your wall!

Lisa

Wow, Dianne! Look at you and this amazing shot! You are really on a roll and improving with every outting. This is fantastic. I love the colors and the detail!

I just went today, after a little shopping spree with my daughter, and got a couple of those bird seed bells to hang in a couple of our trees! Have to get out there and get them hung so I can try to catch up to you in my learning.

I just got NX about a month ago and I love it. Still learning the ins and outs, but I think it has really helped me with my post precessing. Can't wait to hear and see what you do with it.

WOW very nice. I always enjoy your totally honest posts. Man, now I need a BB.
Cheers
Thanks, Jerry! I bought the BB because some one else had one and I thought maybe it would help - guess it did! On my honesty - well, I know I need a lot of practice and being honest is really the best way to be. Thanks!

Excellent shot!
Thanks!

Wow. This is a beautiful shot. You are really doing great with that lens. First the flower now this.
LOL Torben! Thanks! I shot the flower while waiting for the birdies to show up. I have new feeders in the yard and working on getting the birds "trained" to go where I want them. Thanks!

Great shot Dianne. I'm still working on getting my first shot of a bluejay, so I'm very jealous! Well done!
Well, I sat outside for over 2 hours before he showed up and then he's so darned fast, I had a hard time getting this one! It's fun though and a challenge! Thanks!!!!!!

Great shot Dianne! We only have one or two around here - when they feed the pay more attention to keeping other birds away from the feeder than actually feeding.
Thanks! You must have some really yummy food in that feeder! I have several feeders but he really likes the squirrel feeder!! I try to keep everyone happy - except I think the starlings, grackles and the doves are getting the message that they eat too much!

Wow, Dianne! Look at you and this amazing shot! You are really on a roll and improving with every outting. This is fantastic. I love the colors and the detail!

Thanks Sharon! I'm working hard for sure! It's fun sitting outside when it's not too cold or too hot!

I just went today, after a little shopping spree with my daughter, and got a couple of those bird seed bells to hang in a couple of our trees! Have to get out there and get them hung so I can try to catch up to you in my learning.

I just got NX about a month ago and I love it. Still learning the ins and outs, but I think it has really helped me with my post precessing. Can't wait to hear and see what you do with it.
I've seen the bells but haven't tried them. We have too many starlings and grackles around here and I'm working to get them to not be so greedy. The same problem is with doves too. I still have to get my software installed! Thanks!!!!

Wonderful shot Dianne....Great color..
Thanks!

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Sweet, Sweet, Sweet,

Superb Dianne,

Keep up the great work and post more, you guys are going to get me into backyard birds here before much longer!

Wade

Great shot Dianne !!
Thanks!

Very nice Dianne!!

Jose
Thanks!
Sweet, Sweet, Sweet,

Superb Dianne,

Keep up the great work and post more, you guys are going to get me into backyard birds here before much longer!

Wade
Thanks, Wade! I shoot backyard birds mainly because I don't have very many places to go to that are close by. Little birds like these are a definite challenge for sure! When you do get into backyard birds, just be sure to buy good feeders and choose your foods carefully.

Very nice Dianne,hoping to lure one of these pretty birds into my backyard very soon.Keep up the good work.

Very nice Dianne,hoping to lure one of these pretty birds into my backyard very soon.Keep up the good work.
Thanks! It's easy! "Mr. B. Jay" likes peanuts, corn, sunflower seeds, and today I saw him eating from a regular feeder that had patio mix in it - that's various seeds without the shells. These guys are very flighty so you have to be prepared! I just got lucky because I was watching the birds in the nearby tree.

Dianne:

Wow, what a wonderful picture . . . you should really be proud of this photograph. I've been trying to catch a blue jay, and they are really jittery birds; much like cardinals about sitting still. You did a great job catching this one . . . and the sharpness is incredible. You do really great work . . . keep them coming.

Mike

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom