Blue Jay!

Okay, Thursday I had to take my computer in to the shop and so all I could do was get out and shoot. Despite the weather yesterday, I got out and shot some more! Since the lighting was so iffy, I practiced using the better beamer. So, this shot is taken with my 300mm afs f4, 1.4 TC attached, and the sb800 with the BB attached. This little guy sure was hard to catch! It was fun and I have more to post but I gotta learn how to use my software once it's installed!

458790185_c627677bd4_b.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

VERY nice, Dianne! You did a great job with this! I am glad you've gotten the computer checked out and that any problems have been resolved. Now, onward and upward to using your new software! :smile:

LOL, Connie you beat me! Thanks! The weather was definitely dreary yesterday with storms coming in! I thought it would be a good time to practice with the better beamer - guess it paid off! The puter did have some problems and they're all fixed - I hope! Now to install my new software and start bugging everyone on how to properly use them! LOL! Thanks agaiN!

Beautiful capture! A couple of questions about technique/gear used.
1) Did you use a tripod or monopod?
2) Does your 1.4TC allow auto-focus? If so, which TC brand is it?
3) Do you recall if you used P S M A mode?
Just love that shot and would like to get something similar in my own portfolio.

Lisa

Dianne, as I mentioned to you via PM, this Bluejay shot is just about as good as it gets. Perhaps someone here could tweak it in post, but this image as it is posted is a true testimate to your positive progress in birding. Take a bow, Dianne, you deserve the recognition.

Diane,

This may be the best bird image I have seen you post. Great color, sharpness and a nice pose. Dreary days are tough but you captured a beautiful image here!

Beautiful capture! A couple of questions about technique/gear used.
1) Did you use a tripod or monopod?
2) Does your 1.4TC allow auto-focus? If so, which TC brand is it?
3) Do you recall if you used P S M A mode?
Just love that shot and would like to get something similar in my own portfolio.

Lisa

WOW! Thanks Lisa! WOW! Let's see if I can answer everything! I'm flattered!

1. Yes - I've learned the hard way - ALWAYS use tripod (or mono)
2. Yes, the nikkor 1.4 TC does allow for auto focus with my 300mm afs f4 lens - I only use nikkor lenses with nikkor attachments (make sense?)
3. I shot in aperture priority mode

I experimented with the WB (white balance) in auto and then back to cloudy. I had my sb800 attached to the camera with the better beamer attached to that.

I've also learned (the hard way!) to check my highlights and histogram often! I adjust the EV settings when I get the "blinkies." I'm also proud to say Frank (eng45ine) has been coaching me and is wonderful! Any more questions? hey, we'll learn together! Just get out there and shoot something!

Dianne, as I mentioned to you via PM, this Bluejay shot is just about as good as it gets. Perhaps someone here could tweak it in post, but this image as it is posted is a true testimate to your positive progress in birding. Take a bow, Dianne, you deserve the recognition.

Thanks Frank! You are indeed, a great and wonderful teacher! I'll be learning my elements 5 and nikon capture nx next!

Excelent! very nice bird and picture!

Regards,

Eduardo.

Thanks Eduardo! If I'm gonna have all this expensive gear, I better learn how to use it! And I ain't done yet! LOL! Thanks again!

Perfect combo,NX and Elements, IMHO. That is what I use. Let me know if I can help. I am still learning, as always, but have developed a nice workflow for myself. And of course, another great image. Go girl!!

Nancy
Thanks Nancy! I'm sure when I get these installed I'm gonna be bugging everyone to death about "how-to's!" I was proud of my jay, but at the same time skeptical because it was so different from what I'm used to getting. Guess I better get used to images like this one! I'm not done on practicing! I'll be getting out every chance I get! Thanks again!

Diane,

This may be the best bird image I have seen you post. Great color, sharpness and a nice pose. Dreary days are tough but you captured a beautiful image here!

Thanks!!!!!!!!! The lighting was really tough to deal with, but I"m finding out I enjoy certain types of challenges! I figure if my dear hubby is willing to spend the $$ on my gear for me, I better get the most out of it! Thanks again!

Ah, right....Capture NX! You'll be good to go with that combination of software! I have Capture NX but haven't used it all that much, sorry to say, but there are a lot of people here who will be able to help you when you have questions. :smile:

Well, I think Flew told me about the capture NX and can't remember if he uses the elements or the other version. I just couldn't afford the more expensive photo shop! As for help - ya'll that know how to use these better get prepared or duck for cover! LOL!

Dianne - I love your Bluejay, you did a wonderful job capturing him. He'd look even more pretty in a frame and hanging on your wall. Good job!

Dianne - I love your Bluejay, you did a wonderful job capturing him. He'd look even more pretty in a frame and hanging on your wall. Good job!

Thanks, Gloria! He was photographed in some of the trickiest lighting! It was fun, I sat on my patio for 2-3 hours just practicing, watching, learning, and shooting everything that moved! I think I'm gonna love the better beamer once I get the full hang of it! Thanks!

First class shot Dianne. I agree with Andy. This has got to be your best yet, and it's not just YOUR best, it is very good, period. Looks like the 300 f4 is going to be good to you. :smile:

First class shot Dianne. I agree with Andy. This has got to be your best yet, and it's not just YOUR best, it is very good, period. Looks like the 300 f4 is going to be good to you. :smile:

Ohhh, Thanks Flewwy! I'm really having fun, sitting out on the patio and shooting everything that moves! I'm paying closer attention to my settings on the camera, lighting, composition, and watching the birdies - trying to catch something fun. And yeppers, I dearly love my 300mm! I can tell ya, it's well loved too! LOL!

Latest threads

Top Bottom