Critique Blue rectangles

Captured by shooting through a wire fence using an aperture that was large enough to eliminate the display of the fence. Four focus-bracketed images shot at a Nikon step size that was not recorded were stacked in Helicon Focus using default settings. Then the outside areas of the scene were blurred during post-processing leaving only the center sharply in focus.

Mike 2020-10-16--0751-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
I generally like abstracts and enjoy looking for patterns. I like the color in this image and the lines.

Photographs of patterns are more interesting for me when there is something within the frame for my eye to rest on—something, even if small, that sits on top of the pattern or breaks the pattern.

Just a thought (even though I am having trouble articulating it)! I probably wouldn’t have commented, but I saw the Critique label and noticed that nobody has commented yet.

Perhaps the stronger white line running through the frame serves that purpose in the composition...

Glenn

Last edited:
I'm loving it, and it is probably because of your technique of blurring the edges. I've tried so many of these types of shots only t have them fail because of OOF edges—I guess focus stacking could help. But love the even blue!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you to Glenn and Nick!

Photographs of patterns are more interesting for me when there is something within the frame for my eye to rest on—something, even if small, that sits on top of the pattern or breaks the pattern.
I generally think of two kinds of abstracts with patterns -- those that have something for the eye to rest on and those that don't. I like both kinds. Though this image is mostly the latter kind for me, it's not entirely so. The overall brighter area of blue tones in the center and on a diagonal provides only a subtle shape for the eye to rest on. Even though it's subtle, I like that it goes against the grain of all the other shapes in the scene. I also like that the brighter area is mostly more sharply in focus than the darker area, perhaps providing a very slight bit of something for the eye to rest on. At least that's how my mind and eye see these things.

Mike 2020-10-16--0751B-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom