blue sky help

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by two slow, Aug 5, 2007.

1. two slow

two slow

Apr 22, 2006
    Talladega, Al
    How can I get the sky bluer? I have PSE 4 and NC 4.

[​IMG]

2. lchrismunos

lchrismunos

Jun 28, 2006
    Arkansas
    Peano and Yamo both provide good methods for this under a thread in this forum titled "Suggestions for a Mountain Sky". They were kind enough to give ME the advice. Take a look. You will find it one or two pages back.

3. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Another very quick option perhaps???

Duplicate original layer
    Set top layer mode to multiply
    Mask out what you dont want in multiply
    Then duplicate your masked layer again...adjust to taste

Ray

[​IMG]

4. two slow

two slow

Apr 22, 2006
    Talladega, Al
    I'm not having any luck here. I can't find mask or how to mask. PSE4 doesn't have a selective color and when I try to do a gradient layer it darkens everything wrong. It turns things blank instead of blue.

5. Add a LEVELS adjustment layer and change it to Multiply mode (FYI, you can use other adjustment layers... Hue/sat., curves, color balance, etc. Another benefit of adjustment layers is they don't add to the size of the file). Click the mask and paint other objects with a black brush to bring back the original layer below.

You have some bluish noise/artifacts in the top right of the picture you should take care of first. Simply paint over it with same color as the sky.

6. two slow

two slow

Apr 22, 2006
    Talladega, Al
    I did change the blank layer to soft light. I don't know but I think I better start shooting better images because using this software isn't easy.
    I started over from raw it came out better. It still looks wrong but better.
    [​IMG]

7. yamo

yamo

Jun 28, 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Darrell,

Greetings. This is somewhat off topic since I don't have or know what capability your editing tools have. I'm developing my post-processing skills and found that working images posted here helps me to learn... it's kinda like an exercise for a class... "take this image and fix the sky". Thought you might be interested in what I came up with... even if it doesn't help with regards to your editing tools.

Lots of great stuff to work with in your image (vanishing point, complete color depth red-green-blue)...

Recovered highlights in Lightroom (recover blown highlights in central cloud)
    In PS CS2:
    Layers for sky (ignore what the rest looks like)
    Separate layers:
    - Channel mixer B&B conversion on separate layer to bring out contrast and detail in clouds
    - Brightness/contrast adjustment of B&W to further enhance contrast
    - Blend B&W layer with original copy, Linear Burn, adjust opacity to taste
    - Color balance for sky (I like more blue less green, mileage varys greatly on this)
    Layers for ground
    - curves, snap neutral colors (removes yellow cast)
    - selective color balance train & tracks to bring out reds

Merge by selection final sky and final ground (rough merge here, would work more if original)

[​IMG]

Something you might try is just a curves adjustment with an exagerated S-curve... If you look at your histogram there are peaks on the far right (the blown highlights) and low middle (the ground). If you make an S curve so steep sections (high contrast) are placed over the peaks of the histogram it will bring out detail in the sky and ground as well as adding color contrast. boosting saturation a bit (and/or vibrance if you have such a control) will bring out the color.

Some ideas...

Cheers,

-Yamo-