Blue Sox pitchers - my must have shots

I've been shooting relatively a lot of baseball this past month ... mostly of the Holyoke Blue Sox, a team in the NECBL (National Collegiant College Baseball League). Some of you old timers in this forum may remember my first photos back in 2005, entitled "Night Baseball".

I bought a used D300 to shoot with this summer, as I wasn't entirely happy with the tracking of the D7000 I use otherwise. It felt like old times, since I shot with this 2008-2010 and missed it once I sold it.

In any case, while most of my night is spent trying to anticipate plays and capturing them, when a pitcher I haven't shot yet this year starts or is inserted in the game, I immediately shoot a series of rapid-fire shots of the pitchers delivery, from front, open side, back side, and occasionally three-quarters view. I find grace and beauty in many of these, and I love trying to correlate balance and smoothness with results as reflected in the stats as the season progresses.

I tried a new workflow this year, shooting in JPEG, sorting and culling in Photo Mechanic, batch processing the photos using DxO, and then optimizing color and/or sharpness using NX2 or Photoshop Elements 11 . I've been pretty happy with the results so far, even with deep shadows and poor late-inning light.

Thought I'd show a few samples for your comment. Keep in mind these are all batch processed, not individually optimized.

From the front:

Michael Burke
Nikon D300, Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF, 1/800s f/3.2 at 200.0mm iso220
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Benjamin Rokas
Nikon D300, Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF, 1/800s f/3.2 at 200.0mm iso200

From the sides:

Dan Patrick
Nikon D300, Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF, 1/1250s f/3.2 at 200.0mm iso200

Henry Van Zant
Nikon D300, Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF, 1/800s f/3.2 at 200.0mm iso3200

Please let me know what you think, especially where there is room for improvement.

Attachments

Great shots! #3 is my favorite. I agree with your comments about finding grace and beauty in watching good pitchers work. It's my favorite part of the game. Post more if you have them.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom