Critique Blue Swallow Motel

My first stop in New Mexico was Tucumcari. The historic Route 66 runs right through Tucumcari. When the interstate highway (Interstate 40) was built, it bypassed Tucumcari. This once very popular tourist stop has practically turned into a ghost town.

There are a few very nice motels on Route 66. The Blue Swallow Motel is one of those. A couple from Michigan had a great interest in everything Route 66 and bought this motel several years ago. They take great pride is keeping it the way it was--but very clean and with many of the more modern amenities. The same goes for a few of the other vintage motels--like the Roadrunner Motel.

The last time I stayed in Tucumcari was in 2012. That's when I captured the night shot (last picture in this thread) of the motel with the vintage automobile in the front. This time, the motel was closed for most of the month of November as the owners left town for their daughter's wedding. So, I stayed a couple of blocks down the street at the Roadrunner Motel--quite impressive as well.

I have several more images of Tucumcari...and I'll save those for a later thread.

p3743550537-5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

p3743550538-5.jpg

p3743550539-5.jpg

p3743550541-5.jpg

p3743550540-5.jpg

Thanks again for following along on my New Mexico road trip!

Glenn

Great shots! Still love the last one. Curious how you processed #2...................
Thank you, Karen...photos 1 through 4 are practically SOOC. I just added a touch of contrast and some sharpening--that's it. Didn't even straighten them.

For #2, I put the 70-200 on the camera and shot wide open. The blurred background is purely the result of the narrow depth of field.

Glenn

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Thank you, Karen...photos 1 through 4 are practically SOOC. I just added a touch of contrast and some sharpening--that's it. Didn't even straighten them.

For #2, I put the 70-200 on the camera and shot wide open. The blurred background is purely the result of the narrow depth of field.

Glenn
Really! The script in the sign looks transparent....but I knew it wasn't! LOL!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Well it kind of is. They carved the letters out of the iron...and the motel rooms in the background (with the pastel colors) can be seen through the open portions of the iron.

Glenn
Sure doesn't look it in #1......! Well done!

Real Name
Alvin
Wonderful photos, it's interesting to see photos in daylight and contrast it to the night images. It's a magical transformation. I've always wanted to photograph this motel, maybe it's time to make a trip out there.

They took out the historical property sign since 2012 (which is an improvement, IMHO). I hope it's still lit up the same though.

I have to mention the framing in #3 is really great. The telephone poles in the background are not intersecting with the arch on the left as well as the Motel Safari sign does not intersect with the Swallow Motel roof line and the fence post stand clearly separate from the window frame. The consideration of all the details is exceptional. There is really a sense of depth created by the gate, the Blue Swallow sign and the Motel Safari sign in the back.

Last edited:
Wonderful photos, it's interesting to see photos in daylight and contrast it to the night images. It's a magical transformation. I've always wanted to photograph this motel, maybe it's time to make a trip out there.

They took out the historical property sign since 2012 (which is an improvement, IMHO). I hope it's still lit up the same though.

I have to mention the framing in #3 is really great. The telephone poles in the background are not intersecting with the arch on the left as well as the Motel Safari sign does not intersect with the Swallow Motel roof line and the fence post stand clearly separate from the window frame. The consideration of all the details is exceptional. There is really a sense of depth created by the gate, the Blue Swallow sign and the Motel Safari sign in the back.
Thanks Alvin...your comment about the depth that #3 portrays is exactly what attracted my eye to that picture. It took some time to compose the image given the details that you point out. I was especially interested in positioning the Motel Safari sign properly within the frame. Sometimes the desired framing just isn't available due to physical constraints.

I stayed at the Blue Swallow Motel in 2012. It is a long story about what went into capturing that night image...very frustrating. Let me just say that some very inconsiderate guests would pull their car up right in front of my tripod with their headlights shining into my lens and leaving the car idling there for more than 20 minutes during the best light--while standing and talking with others. That's just the beginning.

I made a reservation to stay at Blue Swallow again last month. About a week before I was to arrive, the owners contacted me to say that they were closing the motel earlier than they initially thought, so they had to cancel my stay. But, the Roadrunner Motel is just as good. The sign would be lit if the owners were in town.
Wonderful set. Love the last one.
Thank you, Alex
Very, very nice. I remember the night shot from an earlier post, I think!
Thanks Nick...I'm sure I posted it back when it was captured in 2012!

Glenn

Very well done, Glenn. I also remember the night shot being posted before..and the story about how hard it was to get.

I have spent quite a lot of time in New Mexico and it's about my favorite state. I hope you'll be posting more from this trip.

Real Name
Alvin
Thanks Alvin...your comment about the depth that #3 portrays is exactly what attracted my eye to that picture. It took some time to compose the image given the details that you point out. I was especially interested in positioning the Motel Safari sign properly within the frame. Sometimes the desired framing just isn't available due to physical constraints.

I stayed at the Blue Swallow Motel in 2012. It is a long story about what went into capturing that night image...very frustrating. Let me just say that some very inconsiderate guests would pull their car up right in front of my tripod with their headlights shining into my lens and leaving the car idling there for more than 20 minutes during the best light--while standing and talking with others. That's just the beginning.

I made a reservation to stay at Blue Swallow again last month. About a week before I was to arrive, the owners contacted me to say that they were closing the motel earlier than they initially thought, so they had to cancel my stay. But, the Roadrunner Motel is just as good. The sign would be lit if the owners were in town.

Your composition on #3 is really great. A step to the left or right just would not have worked out as well. I would love to see this composition with the signs lit up during the blue hour.

Interesting story about your night scene. I can certainly understand your frustration, but it looks like your patience still made it work out. Were you able to capture the night scene with a single shot or did you have to blend?

Alvin

Nice set of photos Glenn, especially #2 & 5. I always look forward to viewing your photos. They have a way of bringing out a special quality in an ordinary subject.

Very well done, Glenn. I also remember the night shot being posted before..and the story about how hard it was to get.

I have spent quite a lot of time in New Mexico and it's about my favorite state. I hope you'll be posting more from this trip.
Thanks Jim...New Mexico is one of my favorites as well. I’ll be posting quite a few photos from the trip!

Glenn

Your composition on #3 is really great. A step to the left or right just would not have worked out as well. I would love to see this composition with the signs lit up during the blue hour.

Interesting story about your night scene. I can certainly understand your frustration, but it looks like your patience still made it work out. Were you able to capture the night scene with a single shot or did you have to blend?

Alvin
Thanks again...I bracketed the night shot mostly to retain more detail in the bright neon lights.

Glenn

Latest threads

Top Bottom