1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Critique Blueberry Cobbler

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by Mike Buckley, Jan 1, 2019.

1. My first blueberry cobbler. Made for a New Year's Day celebration that included a viewing of the movie, Babette's Feast.

Photo #1 Setup
    The tabletop is a floor tile. Two small, continuous-light lamps fitted with diffusion socks were on the left and right.

Photo #2 Setup

The tabletop, though barely displayed and very out of focus, is the floor tile used in the first photo. A small continuous-light lamp on the right was fitted with a diffusion sock. A white reflector above the scene and on the left brightened the fork's tines. A polarizer filter controlled the glare.

Mike 2019-01-01--001-S.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Mike 2019-01-01--004-S.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  2. That second shot is criminal! I'm going to be salivating all night :oops: 

One of my favorite movies.

3. I'm with Nick. I can almost smell the aroma. I like the lighting on the second shot. Thanks for detailing your set up.

4. Thank you to Nick and Doug!

Like both of you, I'm also especially partial to the second photo; the first photo is more documentary and I'll always find a more artistic look more appealing. I wasn't confident that a small depth of field would work as I had hoped, so I shot nine images ranging from f/2 to f/16. It was gratifying to see that f/4 produced the look I had in mind in the first place and that it works for me.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  5. Tinstafl

Tinstafl

Aug 6, 2008
    Virginia
    Looked at this and take 2 and the second shot is my favorite. So how did it taste?

6. Thanks, John! It still tastes fabulous; there is one serving left, which will be enjoyed tonight.

7. I agree with Nick, #2 is certainly criminal! Excellent work Mike.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.