Bluebird First flight (Almost Deadly) Pic Heavy

Discussion in 'Birds' started by LuisC, May 19, 2017 at 12:26 PM.

1. LuisC

LuisC

Jun 9, 2009
    Florida
    Luis Casals
    So the second batch of Eastern Bluebirds came out day before yesterday. I have to say the more time I spend looking at birds and photographing them the more i learn. I knew that it is a very tense period of time for the parents but little did I know how much.

There was a lot of commotion with mockingbirds, and even cardinals around getting too close to the babies. This one came out of the nest and fell on the grass, stayed there for a while trying to fly but could not lift much, after a while he was able to get to the roof of my neighbors house. Others birds kept following and all of the sudden a Swallow tail kite show itself, came out from between the houses. The BB parents where very aggressive trying to protect the baby and succeeded.

A few minutes later, the blue bird flies off the roof towards the trees and the commotion again with birds and the swallow tail kite, almost got him but he fell on the ground by my bird bath. This is one lucky bird. His life just started and just like that it could have ended on the first two hours since leaving the nest.

1- Eartern Blue Bird First Flight-8221.

2- Eartern Blue Bird First Flight-8320.

3- Eartern Blue Bird First Flight-8321.

4- Eartern Blue Bird First Flight-8322.

5- Eartern Blue Bird First Flight-8496.

6- Swallow Tail Kite-8387.

7- Swallow Tail Kite-8393.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Cute! I like 3 the most as it shows flight and how small the bird is. I like the kite too - I haven't been able to find one on my trips to FL.

3. LuisC

LuisC

Jun 9, 2009
    Florida
    Luis Casals
    Thanks Allan. Kites start arriving around March and leave by around mid August.

4. Good story and well documented Luis, love Bluebirds, but the Kite shots are super.

5. LuisC

LuisC

Jun 9, 2009
    Florida
    Luis Casals
    Thank you Louie

6. Good story and images...! :)