Bluebirds in Philly in winter?

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Gordon Large, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Second posting from Pennypack Trust outside of Philly. My friend build and maintains Bluebird houses in this park (I'm guessing about 50), and that was the reason for our visit this morning. Winter hasn't really hit here yet - although it was below freezing last night - but I was surprised to hear the Bluebirds will stay all winter. The birds didn't cooperate, in part because there was a Kestrel in the area, but we did manage a few shots. Here are mine. Enjoy!

View attachment 19749

View attachment 19750

View attachment 19751

View attachment 19752

2. Very nice Gordon these are such pretty birds surprised to hear they hang out here all winter. Very nice captures only wish the first few had a more natural perch

3. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Mike. I wish the first few had a more natural post too (that's a perch on top of the bird house), but the bbs weren't cooperation yesterday. Apparently on a good day a good-sized flock flies back to where the houses are and many sit on fence posts or rails. I'll be trying again! :smile:

Gordon

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice Gordon. I have a couple of bluebird shots, but none as good as these.

Well done. :smile:

5. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Frank. I wish the male had been on a fence rail or post. Would have been much more natural. I looking forward to going back to the same place on a day when flocks of bluebirds are sitting on the fence. That should make for some really nice shots.

Gordon

6. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Marvelous shots Gordon. Outstanding color and detail.

7. Wonderfully done Gordon, I really like the background and detail shown here!

8. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks, Harry and Brett -

Gordon

9. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Love that blue and sharpness
    nice job.

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful little birdies Gordon. Shot very well.
    Wish we had them down here, not that I could get images of tiny birds :<(