Bluejay

It liked the freshly mowed lawn.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Kudos for getting the shot, but it needs some help. Biggest issue is that the bird is out of focus. Both the background and foreground are distracting. Can that 70-300 blur the background at f5.6? That would be a starting point. Get your shutter speed up. Aim at the eye. If you want to get fancy, put that big SB900 on and get some eye light. Most of all keep shooting. And by the way, what is in that bird's beak?

Kudos for getting the shot, but it needs some help. Biggest issue is that the bird is out of focus. Both the background and foreground are distracting. Can that 70-300 blur the background at f5.6? That would be a starting point. Get your shutter speed up. Aim at the eye. If you want to get fancy, put that big SB900 on and get some eye light. Most of all keep shooting. And by the way, what is in that bird's beak?
That's strange, because before I posted it here, I opened it in CS5 and used the magnifying glass to zoom in real close, and it looked in focus. I posted a pic of a turkey, awhile back, that someone said was out of focus. So, I started checking in CS5. Maybe my eyes just aren't working good anymore. I guess I should just give up trying to post pictures. Maybe I'm getting too old to do this anymore. Or wait until wife gets home, so she can tell me if it's in focus.
I think it's an acorn in his beak. It's only a couple of inches from the background. The 70-300mm will blur background, but not that close, I don't think. You can see the blurred background in the Thrasher shot. LOL! The IExif software says it's at F/11, so it should be in focus! Something's not right, somewhere.
Thanks for letting me know..........:redface:

The captured moment is there but it does look a tad out of focus.
It may be camera shake (evident on the top left side of the pic with the overexposed leaves with 2 points, or maybe it was the wind that caused this, I'm just assuming), or you just resized the image and posted without adding a hint of sharpness to get back what was lost in the process.

The captured moment is there but it does look a tad out of focus.
It may be camera shake (evident on the top left side of the pic with the overexposed leaves with 2 points, or maybe it was the wind that caused this, I'm just assuming), or you just resized the image and posted without adding a hint of sharpness to get back what was lost in the process.
I really don't think it's camera shake or wind. I guess I could be wrong though. The VC on the lens is very good at holding it still. I did resize and didn't add any sharpness. That may be it. I didn't realize resizing would take away like that. I'll have to remember to add a little sharpening in the future.

Of course, I did the same thing with the Thrasher pic and the squirrel pics, and they seem to be alright. I just don't know......... Thanks for the ideas.

I just learned something, from another thread, that could be my problem here, with the focus being off. I just read that a polarizing filter that isn't a circular polarizer, won't work with AF. The polarizing filter on the lens for this shot, isn't a circular polarizing filter, and I was using auto focus.

Top Bottom