Bluejays are defying the hawk

Discussion in 'Birds' started by EdMac, Dec 5, 2005.

1. The hawk has been harassing the birds at my feeder, but the Bluejays don't give up easily. The squirrels have broken the top on my feeder, and now everyone can pig out. Here are a couple of shots that I got of the Bluejays today. I took these with the 80-400 VR 1/80 sec ISO 400 at f5.6 handheld. It was a pretty overcast gloomy day. Comments welcome, enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. These are gorgeous birds great job capturing them. I have a pair now coming to my feeders on a daily basis but they are real spooky

3. Spooky

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the kind words. I also have a pair of Cardinals that visit, but they really spook easily. The bird that I am after is a White Breasted Nuthatch. It only stays around for seconds. :smile:

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice shots Ed. You should be very proud of each one of them. :smile:

5. Cmon over this year I have a whole slew of different types both the white breasted and red breasted nuthatchs, red bellied woodpeckers some downys a carolina wren and a bunch more s

6. Gee Mike I wish I could come over. Sound like a real plethora of birds.

Ed, good capture of the Jays.

7. Culprit

Here is my token squirrel. This is one of the little guys that have destroyed my bird feeder. We gave up on the one feeder, and added another for the birds. The new one has a squirrel shield that really works. I couldn't resist this guy while I had the 80-400 mounted. THis was 360 mm ISO 400 1/125 sec at f5.6. Enjoy.

[​IMG]

8. Hey nice shots Ed, I really like the squirrel. Is that red blur a cardinal I see in the back of the third shot?

9. Red

Hi Janet,
    I was waiting for someone to ask. Yes it is a Cardinal sitting in a bush behind the feeder. I tried to get a shot, but it was spooked. Good catch. Thanks.
    Has the snow started yet?:smile:

10. Come over

Hi Mike,
    Wait until I get my hands on the D200, and I will take you up on that.:wink:

11. Thanks

Hi Frank,

Thank you for your nice comments. I was lurking for that hawk, and had to settle for the Jays lol.

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great shots Ed,
    Blue jays are brave souls for sure. Loud and noisey to :>))
    Beautiful birds though.
    Yes I noticed the red :>))

You will get that shot of the Cardinal I am sure.

Love the squirrel shot, very pretty. I love squirrels, however can understand thier devilish behavior and the bird feeder.

Good job all the way around Ed.

13. Thanks

Hi Gale,
    Thanks for the nice words.I am sure that I will get a better shot. It snowed here last night. We got about 3-4 inches. The feeders are becoming the only feed store in town lol
    Have a great day.

14. Great shot of the "tree rat"

They raid my feeder all the time.

Your jays are nice too. Mine are all quite wary and don't come around often if I'm about with the camera.

Don

15. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    OK new store. Thought you wanted to stay retired.

ED'S WINTER NATURE STORE

I saw the Eagles and Seahawks game last night.

I saw that snow getting heavier and heavier and heavier and the Eagles came to a complete haulttttttt

42 nothin at the half.

I really felt bad for them, but darn I had to laugh.

16. Jays

Hi Don,

Thanks for the comments. They are all pretty skittery. I usually find that if I sit there and wait a while they sometimes return. It isn't until I am about to mash the shutter that they fly away lol.:smile:

17. Retired,

Hi Gale

The Eagles (football team) are in hiding around here lol. Even they are saying that it was a disgrace.:frown: Sometimes it is good to not be an avid football fan.:wink:

The snow really wasn't that bad for around here. Next Friday, it is suppossed to be worse.

18. excellent captures Ed. Take Mike up on his offer, would be time well spent!
    Dave

19. Offer

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the coments. As I said to Mike, if my D200 shows up next week I will do that.