1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

BMX show at MN State Fair

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by morcguy, Aug 31, 2008.

1. morcguy

morcguy

Dec 29, 2006
    Minnesota
    First time I've shot something like this. Composition could be better? I'm not sure whether its better to have the ramp, background, etc in the picture to lend perspective, but seems like a distraction.

2815998042_d8819a3bf3_b.

2815146589_82eb2a5438_b.

2815145007_9588f34dd8_b.

2815994858_f6d36014bf_b.

2815148357_ed7c1def42_b.

17-55 , pop-up flash used for fill.

2. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Exposure and focus are spot on ( though the last one could use more fill ) but regarding composition the general rule in this type of photo ( be it BMX, skateboard etc ) is to include some sort of background and take-off/landing to show the height of the jump, just to give more than just the trick to look at ( which can get easily boring ).

As an example, in your first shot the rider could easily be 20m up high or only 2m and the resulting photos would have a completely different impact. Here it's just a rider in the air not doing much on top of it all.

Also using different focal lengths can also dramatically change a photo. I generally use the 10.5 the 50 and the 80-200 for BMX ( though I've used my 17-55 as well a few times ).

Hope this all helps a bit, but don't hesitate to keep shooting more and more to get the hang of it. I have BMX photos on my flickr link if ever you'd like to see what I'm talking about :wink:

3. morcguy

morcguy

Dec 29, 2006
    Minnesota
    Thanks for the feedback!

4. You definitely need some type OOF object to give perspective IMO. The wispy cloud sky is great, but adding the ramp would have give it perspective.

Other than that, your images are spot on for exposure and very sharp.

5. I can't see your EXIF data, what f/stop were you at? If you're worried about background distractions, keep your aperture at f/2.8

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.