1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

BNSF passes by

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Minuteman3, Oct 12, 2018.

1. The main north/south rail line near us runs along the shores of Puget Sound. On a clear day, you can see the Narrows Bridge in the background. This guy was moving pretty quickly ....

2018101153_DxO.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Ken

• Like Like x 1
  2. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    Ken I blieve the engineers who are contructing the engines need a good designer... ;) ;) ;) 

But it's a wonderful shot
    Klaus

• Like Like x 1
  3. Don't do it right, don't do it pretty, do it cheaply!

The mantra of all accountants in industry...

4. Nice shot. As it would happen, I was just on a tour of the GE plant in Erie, PA where many of the world's locomotives are manufactured. I took a group of students there. We were able to see them in all stages of manufacture, watch as they moved a just delivered engine to it's platform, walk through the machine shop where many of the parts are made (some come from other GE facilities) and talk with some of the electrical and mechanical engineers overseeing the process. We got so see the 3D modeling process they use in designing and building various parts and talked with the machinists as they explained setting up the CNC machines in use.
    One of the facts I found interesting was that unlike the rest of the transportation industry (trucks, etc.), they try to design locomotives to be as heavy as possible, avoiding lightweight materials whenever possible. It was a very interesting trip, and you could see the passion that the employees there have for building locomotives.

Unfortunately, they did not allow us to take photographs inside the facility.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.