Critique Boat Graveyard

This is the first time I have used this forum and it doesn't appear to get a lot of use, so perhaps this post might help revive it.

We were travelling to Islay last week and stopped overnight a few miles from Kennacraig. When walking the dog that evening I came across this area of abandoned and decayed fishing vessels. It was quite dark and I had no tripod with me so it was necessary to wind the ISO up quite a bit. First three were at ISO 3200; last three at ISO 6400. The camera is a D750; lens the 24-85mm VR that I usually have with me when travelling. I guess the darkness lent itself somewhat to the subject and the graininess possibly did so too. I always feel a sadness when seeing boats like this, knowing that they will have served a good long working life but that it all ends like this. Have I caught the right atmosphere with these shots? I am also aware that my PP skills are not particularly good. All help welcome.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Graveyard by warth man, on Flickr

Graveyard 2 by warth man, on Flickr

Graveyard 3 by warth man, on Flickr

Graveyard 4 by warth man, on Flickr

Graveyard 5 by warth man, on Flickr

Graveyard 6 by warth man, on Flickr

I think you did an excellent job of depicting the mood and atmosphere. I especially like the compositions of #2, #3 and #5.

Your post-processing skills are certainly up to the task of viably presenting these scenes; any changes would be mostly a matter of personal style and preferences.

Consider posting images that are no larger than 825 pixels in height. That size is displayed by the forum software about as large as a monitor resolution of 1920 x 1080 can display it without requiring the viewer to scroll to see parts of the image.

Last edited:
I think you did an excellent job of depicting the mood and atmosphere. I especially like the compositions of #2, #3 and #5.

Your post-processing skills are certainly up to the task of viably presenting these scenes; any changes would be mostly a matter of personal style and preferences.

Consider posting images that are no larger than 825 pixels in height. That size is displayed by the forum software about as large as a monitor resolution of 1920 x 1080 can display it without requiring the viewer to scroll to see parts of the image.

Thank you for looking and commenting Mike. You are quite right re sizes. I thought I had selected smaller sizes, partly because of the number of pics I was submitting, and I guess I assumed my initial selections would be automatically repeated for subsequent shots. Wrong! Apologies for not checking.

Submitting 6 pictures for critique in a single post is way too much to expect meaningful comments. I might have come up with comments if there had been only one.

One thing I can suggest is that in future you clean up distracting garbage in a scene before taking the picture, or clone it out after (picture 2).

Larry

One thing I can suggest is that in future you clean up distracting garbage in a scene before taking the picture, or clone it out after (picture 2).
Though I would recommend the same in most photos, the garbage in this case helps tell the story. Perhaps darken it and/or reduce its saturation if its brightness and hue are visually overpowering, but only if you consider the photo to be more artistic than documentary.

Submitting 6 pictures for critique in a single post is way too much to expect meaningful comments. I might have come up with comments if there had been only one.

Larry
Point taken Larry re number of pics. As far as the garbage is concerned, I deliberately decided to leave it in all the pics because, as Mike said, to me it was part of the story for this little corner. However, I also admit to wondering whether to clone those two bits out of the bottom of pic 2. They were the only ones that jarred with me, so I readily accept your comment.

Hi Larry, Mike. I prefer the revision, even though the original intention was a "warts and all" deal, showing general neglect and the run down air about the whole place. I appreciate both sides of the debate and it has still been a useful exercise for me. Thank you.

A set like this feels like documentary photography to me. Cloning out distractions is verboten in documentary photography. A few years back a news photographer was fired for cloning out trash. And well,4 that bright, crushed oil bottle draws my eye toward it, and emphasizes the neglect and decay pictured here. I prefer the original.

ps, I realize this thread is 2 years old, but I'm "new" here.

I'd say you did well overall. Ditto everything Mike said in his first post. In addition I'll include no.6 as one of my faves though cleaning up some of the reflections at top of frame would be an improvement IMO. Regarding the controversial bit of rubbish in no.2, one has to decide whether it adds or detracts from the desired effect of the image. When I view the image the bright blue in the dark surrounding draws my eye down and out of the story. Also all of the other bright color in the image suggests life while the darkness around the skeletal boat speaks to death/decay.

Overall a nice set of images. Well done.

Whoops! Sorry folks. I hadn't noticed that this thread had come to life again. Many thanks for taking the time to comment. Jim, I did try that pc without the newer boats but in the end I quite liked having the "living" and the "dead" together. Dan, that pic most of all of these was the one where my PP skills couldn't do what you suggest so in the end I just left the reflections in.

Again, thank you all for the comments.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom