Boat House

An early alarm call before a 2 hour drive to reach The Trossachs and Loch Ard on a very cold frosty and misty morning yesterday.

A boat house which is often photographed, you can see why I'm sure.

D850 - 24-70.

2048 JDP logo boat house loch ard JDD6125.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Beautiful scene and yes, I can see why the boat house is an oft photographed scene. I would probably try this without the dock.

Last edited:
I love the fog and boat house. The washed out highlights on the frosty pier decking distract from the boat house for me.

Thank you Walter. I went back to original NEF and lowered the highlights a tad to bring back more detail in the pier decking, is this more to your taste ?

for nikon cafe 2048 JDP logo loch ard boat house_JDD6125.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

For me, I think you lost too much of the frost white on the second iteration. I "think" some local work on the dock alone- enough to bring down the dock so it is not the largest brightest thing in the picture- but you need to leave a little of the sparkle so I know it is covered with frost.
By the way- I am never ever completely happy with any picture I have taken- I can always find places to make it better- at least imho.
Gary

For me, I think you lost too much of the frost white on the second iteration. I "think" some local work on the dock alone- enough to bring down the dock so it is not the largest brightest thing in the picture- but you need to leave a little of the sparkle so I know it is covered with frost.
By the way- I am never ever completely happy with any picture I have taken- I can always find places to make it better- at least imho.
Gary

Thank you, Gary. As we all know, everyone has their personal taste as to how they would process their final result. It is always interesting to read how others would have processed differently. I prefer my original post as it does show the frost on the pier to be 'frosty' and the whites are not 'blown' however I can appreciate Walters preference too, maybe somewhere between the two would be good.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Thank you, Gary. As we all know, everyone has their personal taste as to how they would process their final result. It is always interesting to read how others would have processed differently. I prefer my original post as it does show the frost on the pier to be 'frosty' and the whites are not 'blown' however I can appreciate Walters preference too, maybe somewhere between the two would be good.
I think the original process has it's merits, but the subject of the thread says "Boat House". If that is supposed to be the focal point, then the frost on the pier being nice and frosty looking and bright takes my eyes away from the Boat House. Were the subject "Frosty Morning on the Lake", then the frosty pier standing front and center would make complete sense. As John said, this is all personal taste so there is nothing wrong with the original version of the version John processed to suit my taste. I appreciate John creating a new version that suited me.

I think the original process has it's merits, but the subject of the thread says "Boat House". If that is supposed to be the focal point, then the frost on the pier being nice and frosty looking and bright takes my eyes away from the Boat House. Were the subject "Frosty Morning on the Lake", then the frosty pier standing front and center would make complete sense. As John said, this is all personal taste so there is nothing wrong with the original version of the version John processed to suit my taste. I appreciate John creating a new version that suited me.

Thank you, Walter. I more see where you are coming from regarding my choice of title. It is a well known boat house within the Scottish photographic community and my title was perhaps aimed primarily at that audience and wrongly so when posted to an international audience as we have here on NCafe. It will make me think more about relevant titles in the future. Your point regarding the lighter space of the pier drawing in the eye as opposed to the subject, the boat house, on my original post has been taken on board. I do enjoy reading / hearing alternative ways of 'seeing' our photographs and appreciate all input from others.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Thank you, Walter. I more see where you are coming from regarding my choice of title. It is a well known boat house within the Scottish photographic community and my title was perhaps aimed primarily at that audience and wrongly so when posted to an international audience as we have here on NCafe. It will make me think more about relevant titles in the future. Your point regarding the lighter space of the pier drawing in the eye as opposed to the subject, the boat house, on my original post has been taken on board. I do enjoy reading / hearing alternative ways of 'seeing' our photographs and appreciate all input from others.
Always a joy to have honest dialog and learn from each other.

Latest threads

Top Bottom