Boats are kind of "my thing"

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by DianeR, Dec 3, 2005.

1. in my kayak trips around my neighborhood, I often come across abandoned boats in different stages of decay. I "see" something besides decay and will play with the image until I find something interesting.

large.
    Obviously, this may not appeal to many but it is one way to bring out the colors/light that were in the original scene. Another is this one

I think the second one had a bit of Virtual Painter added (a Photoshop plug-in). I would encourage you "retouching" fans to play with the art history brush, change layer modes, add texture, and practice. I've found that 99% of the time, you must start with a properly exposed, focused image. Sometimes you can rescue a "bad" shot with this type of manipulation but not often. On the other hand, you may end up with a "bad" result! LOL!

Thanks for looking . . . :biggrin: :Happy:

2. Very nice retouch, Diana

3. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Diana

These are brilliant.....have I seen them in another forum???

I am sure I have and I liked them then.

They look real good and you have got me looking for virtual painter now!!

Best wishes

Ray

4. Hi, Ray! Dpreview forum unless they've been hijacked! LOL! Seriously, the Retouch Forum over there is where I've learned to do ALL this stuff. With your imagination, you should have Virtual Painter and Impressionist to add to your arsenal. And Buzz Simplify helps too. Surprisingly, you have to look very, very hard at these printed out on matte linen finish paper to tell if they are "real" or not. :wink: Thanks for looking. :smile:

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Diane,
    I think of you everyday on the way home from work. (to work also.)
    Need to stop and take a few pics for you.

There are two wrecked sailboats from the hurricane and one good one. I would love to take for you.
    You are so good with the painting of them and know how much you like them.

Been wondering how to photograph them though. I am not that great at it.

Maybe thats what I will do tomorrow.....

I get tired of doing the samething all the time. But if someone says bird, I hot foot it in a hurry.

Guess I need to get a wide angle out and the tripod.

I'll let ya know.

Thanks for the beautiful paintings I really like the boat paintings alot.

6. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Help please Diane

Hi Diane

Reading your post above, are Virtual painter and impressionist free downloads or are they part of a bigger program please?

Had a look on web and could not work out if they were Corel products??

Thanks

Ray

7. Hi, Gale! Why don't you try using that 80-400 VR on those boats - won't even need a tripod! Thank you for your kind remarks - I'm stuck on flowers and boats - you're stuck on birds - I wonder if that's because that's what's in our backyard and easy subjects to zero in on. We don't have to go very far! :biggrin: Anyway, I'm always trying to look at things from a different angle, no matter what it is. (I'm looking at my Christmas lights on the balcony right now, thinking "hmmm, what can I do here"? :rolleyes: :biggrin:

8. Ray, let me check Virtual Painter out - KentC has all these links over at DPreview - no they are not Corel. Check Trimoon's site for the Impressionist plug-in (www.trimoon.com) - I think it's still free but not sure. Will get back to you on VP. It's not free but inexpensive.

9. Ray

Here's the link for Virtual Painter - http://www.vpainter.com/. It's pretty intuitive and fun to play with. As with all these plug-ins, it's easy to over-do! LOL! BTW, the one I have is the plug-in but they offer stand-a-lone as well.

10. Diane, I like your boats, especially the first one. Great composition and colors.
    It looks like a painting.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hi Diane.
    Well the 80-400 might work.
    24-120 might work better , it is VR also.. I'll see.

Well I started out with flowers... Got ton of them.. How many you want :>)) let me know, be glad to pass them along. Most are Angle trumpets, I used to grow several varieties.

then I shot a Great Blue Heron at the beach at sunset.. Fatal...lolol

12. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Thanks Diane

Really apreciated.

best wishes

Ray

13. Nice ones Diane :smile: