1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Boats

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by jadlh, Jul 13, 2008.

1. jadlh

jadlh

Mar 6, 2008
    USA, Michigan
    Many freighters run up the channel near our home to deliver/pick up cement, steel, gravel and coal.
    I notice the same freighter unloaded and left the same day while we were at the beach waiting out sunset.
    The hard part is hand holding the camera still enough to get a picture in the low light situation.

Image025.
    NIKON D40X    ---    17mm    f/5.6    1/125s    ISO 110

Image087.
    NIKON D40X    ---    125mm    f/4.8    1/3s    ISO 1600

Image089.
    NIKON D40X    ---    122mm    f/4.8    1/6s    ISO 1600

Image109.
    NIKON D40X    ---    70mm    f/4.5    1/5s    ISO 1600

2. nice shots
    stirs up thoughts of the EDMUND FITZGERALD
    and all the other victims of maritime disasters in the Great Lakes

well done

3. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Nice work. Maybe a tripod or VR lens would help with your handholding problem next time around.

4. jadlh

jadlh

Mar 6, 2008
    USA, Michigan
    Tripod....

I have a tripod but rarely take it with me as it add so much weight and bulk to walk around with, it's old but still does work, maybe I should just keep it in the trunk so it is more readily available for these intermittent times.
    I was using a VR lens which I'm sure helped tremendously otherwise I would have had no shots to post.
    Do you have a suggestion on a good light weight tripod that would also fit with my backpack?

5. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Odd you should ask, up until a few weeks ago I was using a really cheap 'no-name' tripod which just about worked with my equipment. It made some nice images but wasn't really steady or adaptable enough for my needs, particually with a heavy lens. I used to carry this about in a rucksack and it never gave me much trouble.

I bought a Manfrotto-Bogen 190 which is very heavy but is also really stable, however I'm yet to use it in the field to see just how awkward it is to carry around. I imagine the weight will annoy me a bit.

You could try asking in another section of this forum, I'm sure someone else has some good advice. However in my opinion any tripod, even a light and cheap one is better than nothing!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.