Bob the Spiderman is back in the land of the living!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bob the Spiderman, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Firstly can I thanks you all from the bottom of my heart for all your messages and support, and a special thanks to Paul AKA MontyDog for helping Pam in her quest to post her orginal message. The sentiments expressed really helped her through what was a very stressful period.
    What happened was at about 3.30pm Monday afternoon I suffered an very very servere asthmatic attac, My second in 18 years. The first one, like this one came out of the blue and from it I gained an experience that I will never ever forget. More about this later.
    I suffer from COPD. Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Any sufferer from this condition cannot take large breathes unless they master a diaphram breathing technique that forces the air out of the lungs as well as drawing air in. I am very good at this. On Monday I was not breathing too well so I went to bed. At 2.00pm I went to sleep. During this sleep my depth of breathing slowly reduced until stale air started to build up at the bottom of my lungs, this stale air grew larger in volume until it reached the point when there was not enough oxygen was been taken into my lungs to get into the blood stream to maintain the vital orgains. It is at this point that a very severe asthmatic attack occurs. Any sufferer of this who does not get immediate medical attention with probably die within 45 minutes. Fortunately Pam heard my cry for help, and being an ex-nurse got me coupled up to and oxygen cylinder and turned it up to maximum. Guidelines say that 10 minutes at this level should be enough otherwise more oxygen could actally damage the lungs. Well 10 spread in 15 and began to creep up to 20. At this point Pam decided to call for an ambulance, but before she could do this my breathing began to return to normal. I am very lucky to have amazing powers of recovery and that is why I get over it all so quickly.
    Now to 1987 and the experience that I will never ever forget. I woke up one morning in August and felt decided funny but dismissed it and as I had an appointment in Leicester, Jan, my wife at the time volunteered to drive me there. About 3 miles into the journey my breathing when absolutely haywire and Jan drove me straight into the Doctor's car park The time was 9.30am and by this time I had blacked out. At 10.45 I was proclaimed DEAD! Jan was told and she then used the phone just outside of the room I had been treated so she could tell our son David, and Daughter Karen what had happened. David was told first, and as my body was to be taken to the Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford she asked him to get there asap. Then she phoned Karen and just as she went to put the phone down I sat bolt upright and spoke to the doctor. Goodness only knows what caused this to happen but I do know what triggered it.
    During the time I was being treated I found myself in a tunnel that had moving walls of all the different colours of the rainbow. It was very peaceful and tranquil. At the end of the tunnel was a bright white light that got bigger as I moved closer to it. As I made my way to towards it I heard Jan telling Karen that I was dead, and it was at this point I said to myself. ' Bugger this for a lark I am not ready to die yet.' Imediately after saying this, I sat up and found a very startled Doctor and Nurse looking at me as I said. ' Bloody hell that was close!
    Now some people will dismiis this as fantasy, others will say it is the body ascending to another dimension as in Asimov's novel 'Childhood's End.' Religious people may say it is the body ascending to heaven, and even though I have been an active member of the Church of England since I was knee high to a grasshopper, I actually think that is the effect of the body shutting down. Whatever it is I is a wonderful experience and is the main reason I am not afraid od dying.

Well that is it. Sorry to go on a bit but I hope you found it both enlightening and informative.

Again please accept Pam's and my grateful thanks.

Best wishes Bob F,

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thannk goodness you are doing ok now SPIDEY..

Take care friend.

Whewwww

3. Hi Bob!

Nice to see you back. Your near-death experience coincides with many similar stories I have heard and as far as I have understood, it has to do with an endorphine over-production the body reacts in such situations.

Anyway, as I wrote in my email, I would not have accepted your sneaking out of this universe :smile: - you have to give our baby a chance to personally say "Thank you" for the great gift you and Pam provided.
    So be warned - I'll keep a virtual eye on you.
    Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2005
  4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Bob, so glad that you are doing better. That had to be a very scary experience. It is so fortunate that Pam knew what to do and that you had oxygen available.

Welcome back my friend. :smile:

6. Welcome back, Bob. Glad to hear from you again, and thanks for the story.

7. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Bob,

Thanks for taking the time to personally let us know you are back. Get some rest my friend. We care about you deeply and appreciate your note. If there is anything we can do please let us know.

My best to you and Pam,

8. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    Typical. I was just about to PM Pam and ask about your camera gear and you make a miraculous recovery! :biggrin:

Welcome back, honest. :biggrin:

9. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Welcome home Bob....glad you are feeling better.

10. glad you're doing better. Stay well.

11. you had me scared there my friend. Glad to have you back and what a story you have.
    Please take care.
    Dave

12. Sure glad that everything worked out, Bob. Experiences like that cause us to focus on the things which are really important. Go tell your family how much you love them. It's great to have you back.

13. Wow, glad to have you back, literally!!! What a story, and boy do you ever owe her big-time!!! As Paul said, that woud have made a great pic to see their faces. I've suffered a few asthma attacks but never anything that severe. You're one lucky bloke, in so many ways. Stick around for a while... the best is yet to come.

14. I am so sorry about the problems you are having but happy to see that you have pulled through this experience. Pretty scary to say the least, just hope that the doctors can control this with meds. To come back from the brink like that is amazing.

15. strobel

strobel

Apr 30, 2005
    Algonquin, IL
    I am glad to hear you are ok. Thanks for sharing the story of your near death (or death) experience. I wish you a healthy future, long and full of air.

16. Bob, I'm glad to hear you're okay. COPD runs in my family (It's a genetic condition known as "alpha-1-antitrypsen deficiency") so I know the problems it can cause and the diffiiculties it presents.

You have a great attitude and are fortunate to have such a talented and supportive wife. Hang in there, guy!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

17. Great to see you're OK Bob!
    Helluvva story too, thanks for taking the time to write it.

18. Firstly thanks to everybody who has read my thread and posted a reply.

Beaucamera. Well blow me down. Yes I do not about the defective gene that you specify, especially as I am one of the 5%. Its a pain in the posterior.

Rob. Good grief. Here is member who lives only 8 miles up the road and he is after all my gear while I am still warm!! You would have been to late anyway. Pam has already marked down my Manfrotto tripod, which she uses all the time for photographing the books she sells on ebay for the charity Oxfam. Plus she has started to use my D70, three of my lenses and now has her eye on my D2h and 80-400 VR. So sorry mate, you were too slow off the mark.

Best wishes. Bob F.

19. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    A warm corpse is a happy corpse. (Old Irish saying) :rolleyes:

Just trying to save postage to the US. Considerate, my middle name. After Acquisitive.

20. Hi Bob,

I am one of those people that believe that your body was transending towards God and what turned out was God felt it was not your time but was giving you a sign of what it will be like when your time comes.

Anyway, it is good to hear you are fine and back to your family and to us.

Take care,