Critique Bob Zuppke tombstone

Bob Zuppke's tombstone at the Mount Hope Cemetery in Champaign, Illinois. Note that Zuppke's burial site is positioned on the 50 yard line of Memorial Stadium (the stadium is visible in the background).

p3179441896-5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Bob Zuppke was the football coach at the University of Illinois from 1913 to 1941. He won four national championships and invented such staples of the game as the huddle, the "flea-flicker" play, the screen pass, the long snap and the linebacker position. He was a bitter opponent of football scholarships, believing that the "honor of playing for Illinois" is payment enough.

I captured this particular image quite some time ago, but I was reminded of this photograph when I walked past this scene the other day.

Glenn

I like the simplicity of the tombstone and how you captured the setting, Glenn!
Especially the reflections.

The game will probably forever remain a mystery to me :)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
It's OK....just not quite up to your very high standards. But it is probably as good as it can be. What kind of composition would you come up with today (although it appears your choices are pretty limited}? Perhaps a shallower DOF? But you were obviously trying to have both the marker and the building in focus.... .. Since the marker is dominant in the foreground, maybe straighten it...but that will affect the building which appears to be level currently.

I like the simplicity of the tombstone and how you captured the setting, Glenn!
Especially the reflections.

The game will probably forever remain a mystery to me :)
Thanks Bart...unfortunately the game has been a mystery for the Fighting Illini football team for the last decade or so as well!
:)
It's OK....just not quite up to your very high standards. But it is probably as good as it can be. What kind of composition would you come up with today (although it appears your choices are pretty limited}? Perhaps a shallower DOF? But you were obviously trying to have both the marker and the building in focus.... .. Since the marker is dominant in the foreground, maybe straighten it...but that will affect the building which appears to be level currently.
Thanks for commenting, Karen. Your thoughts mirror my thought process as I was composing the shot. Very challenging. As you point out, the scene is level but the tombstone isn’t level in reality.

Next time I get back there I will take another look and see what I can come up with.

Glenn

Latest threads

Top Bottom