Bogen 161MK2B or Gitzo GT-3540XLS

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Randy, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    Bogen / Manfrotto 161MK2B Super Pro Tripod Legs
    or
    Gitzo GT-3540XLS Systematic 6X Carbon Fiber Tripod Legs

I will be using a Wimberly with a D3 & a 400VR

The money diff (at this point) doesn't matter.

Any thoughts on which one I should get.

btw, no hiking, just setup near my car.

2. adaml

adaml

Feb 21, 2006
    chicago
    I'm considering the 3540L as an upgrade to my 1327, principally because of the g-lock system and ALR.

If price is not an issue, than IMO you can't do better than Gitzo.

3. Randy,

A couple of things I forgot to mention in my other emails. The 3540 has those quick lock g-lock and they work great.

Also, my son owns the 3540 XLS, with a full Wimberley, D300, and a 200-400mm zoom lens. He is 6'3" and needs the height. It is rock solid.

Norm

4. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    my only thought was would the heavier one be better for support as in 'not tip over' support
    the bogen is 17lbs and the gitzo is 4lbs

5. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    what is alr ?

i'll checkout g-lock, dunno what that is either

6. ALR is Gitzo's Anti-Rotation Leg System. I'm guessing the acronym's messed up due to translation. This is so convenient. You can open up and close the legs very quickly because leg sections don't rotate. Hard to explain here but this is a huge benefit for me.

G-lock is supposed to help with tripod rigidity. I haven't looked into how it works but this is supposed to provide a gravity-lock effect so heavier loads will lead to a stronger lock.

7. adaml

adaml

Feb 21, 2006
    chicago
    G-lock and the anti-leg rotation features together eliminate the problems associated with the "twist-lock" system of my 1327 and other Gitzo models of that generation. No more forgetting which way to turn to open and close; no more opening in one pattern, and closing in another.