Bogen 3421 Gimbal type head and 200-400?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Cschend, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Cschend

Cschend

Apr 1, 2007
    SLC, Utah
    I finally got a 200-400 lens and now need a new tripod and head, BUT my wallet is EMPTY. Has anyone had any experience with the 3421 gimbal type head? How does it compare to a Wimberly or Jobu Black Widow? Am I wasting money by purchasing the Bogen? I really want to use this lens to it's best potential but $$ is tight. Will I be disappointed with the Bogen?
    THANKS for your help!

2. I don't have the Bogen gimbal, but I've seen it in use with some pretty heavy, long lenses on other photographers' tripods and I think it would work just fine for you. I don't think you'd be disappointed.

3. Bogan is VERY nice!

I have the Bogan and I think it is great! Nice and fluid movement and as far I can tell, perfect for this lens! I just do not see what the big deal is over the full Wimberly. It may be lighter but I doubt it is as strong. The one tubular arm can flex (not likely I know) where as this design doesn't allow for flex.

Here is a true story...when the world trade center came down here, there were a LOT of professional photographers hanging out on the roof tops of the surrounding buildings. Most if not all had Wimberlys. The problem they were running into was they could not get the camera pointing down far enough. Then a guy shows up with the Bogan and "hangs" the lens instead of resting the lens on the pivot bar. He then points the camera down and shows the rest of the photographers. Next thing you know, you can't find a Bogan Gimble anywhere near here!

4. snugelbune

snugelbune

Mar 15, 2006
    NYC suburbs
    I have the 300 f/2.8 AF-SII (not the VR version, so heavier than that one) and I have the bogen 3421. I think it is AWESOME for tracking birds in flight as well as shooting flowers. I was out last weekend with a guy who had it with his *dark side* 600mm lens and pro body and he said he's never regretted not buying a more expensive head. All of the other people had wimberly or other very expensive heads, and they tried ours and said they found it to be very nice. (no one was defecting from their $500-$600 heads, but all said they were impressed with the bogen).

I think you'll love it. My only advice would be not to use it the way they show it in the diagram, rather use it like it is shown here with his big lens attached(hope it's ok to post a link from another forum, but this helped me out a lot) http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/non-nikon_articles/manfrotto_393/393_1.html

5. Cschend

Cschend

Apr 1, 2007
    SLC, Utah
    Well, it looks like I have my answer! Thanks to everyone for saving me some hefty pocket change! Now I can afford to keep the 200-400.

6. Cschend

Cschend

Apr 1, 2007
    SLC, Utah
    Great story about the WTC too! Definitely helps to make up my mind!

7. Hi:

I have been using the bogen 3421 ( manfrotto 393), for the last year and a half.... with my bigma 50-500mm dg

... it is really a great value , compared to the wimberleys..... and pretty darn good for my shooting ( birds)

... i've put the bigma aside , for now, and am having fun shooting with my new 300vr.... on my monopod for now,,,, and of course, will soon try it on the gimbal mount.

... a highly recommended " poor man's wimberley " !

Chuck / Montreal / Canada.

8. carlsson

carlsson

Jul 29, 2006
    The Manfrotto/Bogen works OK for panning with big lenses. Just be aware you can not lock it completely. This should be the reason to recommend it for monopod where everything is in motion. For steady framing on tripod it has serious limitations.

Carlsson