1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Bogen antique 3046/3047 tripod/head

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by LDB415, Jul 10, 2008.

1. LDB415

LDB415

Apr 26, 2008
    Texas
    Not sure where to put this but since it's to go under my D300 I'll start with it here and let the powers that be move it if it should be elsewhere. I've got a probably 25 year old Bogen 3046 tripod with 3047 head that I got hold of today. The mounting plate is missing but it's otherwise complete. It is very heavy, a little over 9 pounds plus head. The 3047 head appears to be the head now called the 804RC2.

I may still buy a tripod but at least for now I'll go with this since it's only going to cost a mounting plate and clean up to get it usable. My questions are what mounting plate does it need and is it considered a good tripod? Also, I've seen a couple of heads that are pistol grip, one horizontal and one vertical. It seems like that would be convenient but I don't know for sure as well as whether horizontal or vertical would be better. So, comments on any/all those things are appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2008
  2. LDB415

LDB415

Apr 26, 2008
    Texas
    OK, so the hex head apparently is a one size only thing so I just need to go get a hex head and clean it up and hire a sherpa and I'll be set. I may have to look into another easier to handle tripod too.

Comments on the pistol grip heads and anything else tripod related still appreciated.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.