Bogen gimbal mount`

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Greg, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
  2. Interesting timing, I just saw one of the Bogen's yesterday, and even though it had a "C" camera mounted, I put gloves on and gave it a go anyway :lol: .

Here is my very short, very subjective, comparison between the Bogen and my Wimberly Sidekick.

Bogen, solid piece of work, it isn't going to fall apart.
    Bogen, must less expensive, mid-100 dollar range
    Bogen, vertical motion pretty smooth, not quite as smooth as the Sidekick
    Bogen, horizontal panning rough, have to keep too much tension to be easy, Sidekick is on a Ball-Head which determines panning
    Bogen, no way to lock vertical motion. The fellow I saw had taken his to Tacoma Screw and for 83 cents, yup under a buck, they put 2 stops in for him, this should be there to begin with.
    Bogen, more restricted in vertical motion, harder to track coming overhead

And it looked heavy, but that is hard to tell since I didn't have them both off.

It seemed to work OK, but it sure looks like it would be more difficult to carry the whole rig with a camera mounted. If the Wimberly and the Bogen were more closely priced, it would be no contest at all, Wimberly wins. But given that even the Sidekick with a decent ball-head is in the $500 range, the Bogen looks like a pretty good value, but the roughness of the panning motion plus the restriction of the vertical due to the U shape really put me off.

3. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    great feedback. I think I'm going to spring for this one. I may be able to put a double layer of that super slick teflon sheeting to help the pan smooth out. Can't beat the price and I think I like the way is swivels around the center of the lens and not the bottom.

Again. thanks for the info.

4. I use one...

I use it with the Sigma 300-800 and it is a very good gimbal
    head... the 300-800 is a very large and heavy lens and it supports
    it very well....

Michael

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Greg,

Good find. This looks like an excellent alternative to the big Wimberley, and it is 1.5 lbs lighter (in addition to being $400 cheaper....;-)).

The one thing that I would worry about is the panning. The vertical bearing area looks like less than 0.5 inches thick. The big W is more like 1.5 to 2 inches.

I have to either buy the Wimberley that I have or turn it back in in the next 4 weeks. Why don't you hurry up and get this thing so we can compare them. 8)

Frank