Bogen / Manfrotto 3502 Ball Camera Leveller

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Palouse, Dec 22, 2005.

1. I see a lot of dicussion of the Gitzo 1321 leveling head on this forum (and elsewhere). However the long arm that hangs down between the legs gives me reason to wonder how it affects low level shooting with a Gitzo 1325--I often shoot low to the ground.

I also see that Bogen / Manfrotto makes a 3502 Ball Camera Leveller that weighs just under a pound and a half and can hold 30 lbs. (the GItzo is rated for 33 lbs.). It too fits between the center column and head and has 10° of adjustment.

Has anyone had any experience with the Bogen? It costs $70 (about $100 less than the Gitzo).

2. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    The Gitzo leveling head "handle" protrudes ca. 5" below my Gitzo 1348 tripod. And yes, for me, it definitely is in the way for really low macro work, i.e. when I need the tripod to be almost flat. It is bothersome, but I carry a small box end wrench to remove the leveling base and replace it with the flat plate when doing really low down macro stuff. The latter works fine only when shooting close to my vehicle. Since macro stuff is my primary interest, if there is ANY doubt I remove the leveling head. No easy answer here, unfortunately, and I find myself leaving the leveling head in the vehicle most of the time.

3. Not sure if it's the same as the self levelling column on the Manfrotto 756B; I have to admit that I hardly ever use it, and don't miss it on my Carbon One 444.

Ming

4. Ming, I'm not sure if the two are the same.
    Jerry, sounds like taking off the Gitzo leveing head is a field operation, but, as you say, one done close to your vehicle. Thtat's why iIwas hoping the Bogen 3502 might be a viable alternative, although I haven't been able to talk with anyone who has used it.