Bokehrama (or Brenizer Method)

I just finished my 365 project and throughout I wanted to try different processing methods and techniques. Once of the things I wanted to try out was the Brenizer Method. I had an idea (not completely original) for my final shot and I attempted to use the method.

I have seen a few other attempts on this forum for others who have tried this to varying degrees and I just wanted to see what some other have tried or let some other people know how its done so that they can go try it out.

This technique was made famous by wedding photographer Ryan Brenizer who admits he didn't create it, just made it popular.

My shot, 35 images stitched with the Tamron 90mm macro. My battery was about to die so this was my only chance.
Day365-110501.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Lets see what everyone else has.

Sooo.... I'm trying this technique and I'm having a heck of a time stitching. Little tilts in the camera between shots make it tedious to have to rotate each photo to match the one next to it. Is there an easier way to stitch?

(admittedly, I shoulda tried this with a panorama of 10 shots, not the 100+ that i took...)

I was told Microsoft ICE works good for stitching if you're on a PC, but I'd like to know what people recommend for Mac users?

35 is a lot of images - nice image though!

I can get a sick effect with my 85 1.4 and 10-15 images after that its just get to be too much. Shooting at f/1.4 is sick for this...

I'm afraid that I have no idea about how to achieve this technique.. I went to the supplied site in the link, and tried to watch his video, but it was infuriatingly horrible... Couldn't hear a word he was saying, and all I got out of it was that he used two cameras, though "you don't have to" and then shot a bunch of other frames to make a panoramic. But I have no idea of how this applies to DOF since he didn't say anything about it.

Color me confused.

Doug

Basically stitch together a big image in any direction you want to achieve a massive picture with higher percentage of OOF area.

For some of those who are having a little trouble with the video, I found this website which is much better at explaining the method.

I took so many shots so that I could get the crop that I wanted plus I was using the Tamron f2.8. If I had a f1.4 lens, I could have used less.

Also, from what I have read, Photoshop doesn't like greater than 15-20 shot when stitching. I tried it but was having a hard time getting things lined up so I tried Microsoft Ice. It worked pretty well and took all 35 shots without any problem.

I just don't get it? Why take 24-1000 frames of a scene and then stitch? I'd rather just pony up the money, get a D3X and 24 1.4 and essentially get the same look!

The claim is that Brenizer method can give even better BoKEH than with a wide angle.

I have yet to test this.

I just don't get it? Why take 24-1000 frames of a scene and then stitch? I'd rather just pony up the money, get a D3X and 24 1.4 and essentially get the same look!

I'm afraid you won't. In some cases using a 85 1.4 and taking 10 images your replicating a frame that would have been shot with say a 20mm f/.095 lens The math is there for you to interpret and use but the 24mm lens will not give you compression of a tele which gives this technique it's power.

Not to mention your getting a image that is sometimes over 100mp in resolution which should print beautifully.

Latest threads

Top Bottom