Bologna by night

Here are a few from my trip to Emilia Romagna recently.

Weather was awful for photography so I didn't get much chance for shots during the daytime. One evening I managed to get into the centre of Bologna when it was dry to take a few nightscapes. These are Exposure Fusion panos with a 35mm prime, so downsized a little for on here:

p1524565908-5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

p1524583780-5.jpg

p1524617766-6.jpg

p1524566414-6.jpg

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Fantastic. I love all of these night shots. This is where I should have gone instead of Milan.

As I said in the other forum where you posted these, I think they are exceptional photographs. I had summer appointments at the University of Bologna in '81, '83, '85, and '89, but haven't returned since. Nevertheless all of those sights are still very familiar, and encourage me to return. It is a very scenic old city.

And the food! Some call Bologna the gastronomic capitol of Italy, which is of course the gastronomic capitol of Europe :smile:.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Have you ever been on top of the turrets?
You'll get dizzy there ...
Both turrents are leaning in direction to the other. 2.5m and 3.5m.
It's a crazy feeling looking down.

Regards from Germany
Klaus

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Oh MY! What a great set!

That first one is very well captured and processed! Excellent details/sharpness and saturated colors. And I love the way you used the statues shadow in the compositions of #2 and #4!

Were these single or multi row panos? Tripod? Did you capture several panos at different exposures for the HDR effect? If so, would you stitch each pano together for each exposure setting....then take the resulting panos and process for HDR?

Soon I will be in Eastern Europe and need all the advice I can get! THANKS!

Very well done night images, Phil! Superb, really.

And the food! Some call Bologna the gastronomic capitol of Italy, which is of course the gastronomic capitol of Europe :smile:.

Jim, you couldn't be more wrong: that title would belong to Lyon, France. :rolleyes::wink::biggrin:

Thanks guys. Here was my process:

Starting on the bottom row for the larger panoramas, I'd take 3 exposures per shot (-2EV, 0EV, +2EV). These, on average, were around the 1sec, 4sec and 15sec mark. One the bottom row of some of them I had to take my time to avoid cars and their light trails moving through the shots. People would generally disappear or blur out due to the longer exposure in the mix so I wasn't too concerned, but for the shorter exposure I tried waiting until people were not in the frame for the 1 to 2 seconds. Then moving up with 20-30% overlaps and maintaining the same exposures throughout.

Shot 1 was 9 shots, 2 was 2 shots, 3 was 6 shots and 4 was 2 shots.

Then with the processing:

I shot in RAW, so using Lightroom I adjusted any exposures in my 0EV frame in each pano, and synched with the rest of the set, exporting as .tif files. PTGui allows you to import multiple exposures and stitch blended panoramas together using Exposure Fusion. This is my normal way of doing things. However I wanted to try using a bit more control at the blending stage so I used Photomatix for the blending, using the same settings for the -2EV, 0EV and +2EV shots throughout each pano. Then I stitched with PTGui.

The issue here is that with PTGui you have several stitching options - one keeps your horizontal lines straight but distorts the left and right edges slightly (notice the street light and 'round' street sign in shot 1, but the tops of buildings are straight) - the other options lose the distortion but any long parallel lines in your shot will become wavy. It's just the nature of the field of view for the stitch, but I preferred to keep my architectural lines straight and run with the small amount of stretch and distortion. I could then use Photoshop to correct the stretch but haven't tried that yet.

Finally into Photoshop to clone out any flares, adding a little Tonal Contrast and Pro Contrast with Color Efex before converting to Black and White with Silver Efex (which I've posted elsewhere).

Fantastic Phil, so much detail in the shots. Thanks for posting your process too it's always interesting to see how photographers like your self put together your shots.

Cheers

Agreed. But, to your point, Marie-Antoinette was in Paris (or Versailles), quite a few days away from Lyon, using the transportation of the time... so she was easily mistaken.

Just look up Troisgros (in Roanne, near Lyon), for example! :smile: Or Paul Bocuse... Even an English food critic agrees! :biggrin:

Yes, Lyon is closer to Italy. :biggrin:

No, I partially agree. The first time I took my wife to Europe (1969!), we went out of our way to find a restaurant near Lyon that we had read about in Gourmet magazine. But it was closed for the month (it was August, of course).

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Phil,

Thanks so much for the info! I'm sure I'll get lots of practice on our trip! Between you, Mark Sykes and J-P, I have a lot of inspiring images to study!

Great work!

Outstanding set of pics, Phil. Well done!

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom