Bombay Hook Take #2 - the Avocets

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Gordon Large, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Mid to late October is a slow time at Bombay Hook. The Snow Geese and other water fowl are just starting to come in, and most of the shore birds have left. Some waders still there. And raptors. But it is prime time for Avocets. Enjoy.

Gordon

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gordon,

I had no idea that Avocets gathered in such large flocks. Neat shots. :smile:

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hi Gordon,

(ya watching the weather)

I saw hundreds of those birds last year at MWR and none came close enough to even identify.

Great shots of a lovely bird. I really like them.

4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Cool shots, Gordon. I wonder what Avocet means in English? Sounds like a French word.

5. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Frank. There was a much bigger flock camped out on one of the impoundments at Bombay Hook. The flight shot was just one exodux (of many) that happened to fly withing shooting distance.

Gordon

6. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Gale. If they were so far away that you couldn't identify them, then how do you know they were avocets? :tongue: Just kidding. Thanks for the nice comments. They sure are beautiful.

Gordon

7. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Steve. The only thing that avocet means in English is the bird. Good guess, though, because it comes from the French and Italian avocette, which also means the bird (and maybe other stuff too).

Gordon

8. Callie

Callie Guest

Hi Gorden
    Nice pics, love the tandem pics. Beautiful decurved bills. Once again, we have our own species her, also B&W. Will post one for you later, have to find it amongs all my pics.
    Regards

9. In looking at the last two pictures it look like synchronise eating.

Do you like the vest your are wearing in your avatar, i have a photo trekker backpack but i was thinking of getting a kind of harness with a belt when i go on long trails for photo shooting in summer when it's very hot.

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    lol Gordon,
    Somebody told me what they were. :>)))

It was in the MWR. She just happened to know what they were. A birder with binoculars.

11. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Callie - Thanks for the nice comments. The tandem pics are my favorites too. I would enjoy seeing and comparing your species, so good luck finding your pics!

Gordon

12. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Gilles -

The last two pics do look like the birds are synchronized, don't they? The are my favorites for this reason.

I LOVE my vest. I hate backpacks because they feel heavy to me and you have to put them down to get anything out. I thought about the harness / belt combo, and I think that would be a great combo when traveling very light, but I'm usually carrying the 17-55VR, either the 70-200VR or 300/4, a ball head, a couple of teleconverters and extension tubes, filters, extra compact flash cards, a bottle of water, towels, a light rain poncho, etc.

The vest holds all that and does so comfortably by spreading the weight on your shoulders and a cushioned belt that you can't see. I could rig the vest to carry my tripod and Wimberley too, but that would be kind of awkward so I don't. And the vest can't hold my 200-400VR. I usually leave that lens on the tripod with it's rear cap on and handhold the camera with the other lenses which works for me. Or I carry Nikon's case for the lens and attach it to the side of the vest. The vest comes with two extra lens cases for strapping on the sides, but they won't hold the 200-400.

One final comment - The vest is made with synthetic material which is light, water repellant so it provides protection in a light rain and doesn't absorb sweat, and has lots of mesh areas so it isn't hot even in hot weather.

The vest is made by The Vested Interest owned by a very nice guy John Storrie. He also has a parachute company, so quality of manufacture is very high. John is a delight to deal with. I originally ordered the Khumba which will carry the 200-400 in a back pocket but I found it uncomfortable so I exchanged it for the Magnum. If you call John, he will work with you to customize the vest to your specs, from little items like snap, velcro or zipper closures on each pocket to the size of the pockets themselves to fit your kit.

The only downside is cost - about $300 depending on how much custom work goes into the vest. I think this is about $50-100 more than a good backpack that will hold as much stuff from Lowepro, for example. For me, it was money well spent.

Hope this helps -
    Gordon

13. Callie

Callie Guest

Hi Gordon
    Here are two pics of our avocet. They are generally too far off the side of the vlei to nail them properly . . .yet. A vlei is a wetland in SA.

[​IMG]
    and
    [​IMG]

14. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks for sharing, Callie. Yours sure look a lot like ours except for having black markings in different places - yours have a black head while ours don't and the wing markings seem to be different. Both have pale blue legs. Our avocet's official name is Recurvirostra americana. What is yours?

Gordon

15. bfjr

bfjr Guest

I like the 1st one and the little muddy foot one

16. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Ben. What's with muddy feet? Everybody likes Mike's muddy foot shot and mine. Is there some kind of fetish I don't know about? :rolleyes:

Gordon

17. It's not fair, I don't even get to see one Avocet and you have a big flock of them. :Sad: Nice series of images Gordon.

18. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks, Gordon. You've made that "I don't have any...." comment a number of times to me and others. You know, you could do something about that! We would love to have you on the East Coast! :biggrin:

Gordon

19. Callie

Callie Guest

Hi Gordon, look on the bottom of the pic. R Avosetta. I shot some more today.
    Regards