Critique Bon Vivant! (Sparkling wine with -- finally -- a photo of the setup)

This is the very first photo made in my fully revised makeshift studio. The bubbly was given to us by friends on New Year's Eve decorated with their handmade bow exactly as shown in the photo. I've never seen such a nicely decorated wine bottle, so I had to photograph it.

Setup
My makeshift studio now has a black floor and ceiling that are permanent and very lightweight, black, floor-to-ceiling panels that are easily movable to create black walls. All of that ensures that there are no unwanted reflections when I'm photographing glass, as in this photo. My working space is also larger, which hopefully makes it possible to always provide a photo of my setups, which people have been requesting for years. Please let me know whether the setup photo is sufficient.

I'll mention only two details for now about the setup: The bright light in the top right corner is the only light source. The black piece of paper at the bottom of the white reflector prevented the reflection from being added to the left side of the wine label; I wanted that reflection to be displayed only in the glass part of the bottle.

Focus Stacking
Seven focus-bracketed images at Nikon step size 3 were stacked in Helicon Focus at default settings.

Mike 2021-01-15--0002-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Photo of the setup
Mike 2021-01-15--0025-S.jpg

Last edited:
I cropped the image shown below at 90% to display the pattern of dots in the wine label that can't be seen when displaying the entire scene on our monitors.

90%.jpg

What a beautiful bow...and a beautiful image. IMO this bottle deserves to be shot on a dinig table with one of your beautiful designs, If you haven't opened the bottle yet. By the way, enjoy your revised studio.

Thanks, Binnur!

this bottle deserves to be shot on a dining table

That is an excellent idea. Unfortunately, it's a real pain to set up everything in the dining room. Moreover, I've already committed to giving the wine to my next-door neighbor (the one that makes the desserts) who, in turn, will give it to one of her friends that likes bubbly a lot.

However, I'll have the bow a long time before I return it to my friend that made it. So, I could add it to any bottle with complementary colors and photograph it on the dining room table if I'm motivated enough to make that happen.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom