Critique Bond Falls, Michigan

I just completed a road trip around Lake Michigan. I drove 2,000 miles in 7 days. My goal was to experience the Fall colors of the Upper Peninsula. Unfortunately, there was very little color. The peak colors are expected to arrive 3 to 4 weeks later than normal due to unusually warm weather.

This was the first picture of the trip. Unfortunately, it was probably the best one of the entire trip! I experienced the best colors at Bond Falls...and after Bond Falls I mostly dealt with clear blue skies and harsh sunlight. In any event, it was an interesting journey in which I saw numerous lighthouses, waterfalls and beautiful small towns. It could have been worse...I met a woman who flew in from Singapore for Fall photography in the UP. She came a lot further for the trip than I did!

2021-09-25 Michigan UP-8-Edit.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks for looking...I'll likely share some of the lighthouse photos once they are processed.

Glenn

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Welcome back, Glenn! I can relate to the difficulties in timing a trip! When we spent 6 weeks in Eastern Canada, I had planned the trip to see puffins catching fish and feeding their young.....BUT....spring was 3-4 weeks late that year. All we got was rain and driving wind. And of course you remember our infamous trip to Iceland in the winter! :eek:

Regardless, this is a fine image. I like the shutter speed and the downed tree over the falls.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
This is stunning, Glenn. Your trip around the lake is one that I want to do. Sorry about the lack of fall color, but I know you've captured some great images anyway.

Welcome back, Glenn! I can relate to the difficulties in timing a trip! When we spent 6 weeks in Eastern Canada, I had planned the trip to see puffins catching fish and feeding their young.....BUT....spring was 3-4 weeks late that year. All we got was rain and driving wind. And of course you remember our infamous trip to Iceland in the winter! :eek:

Regardless, this is a fine image. I like the shutter speed and the downed tree over the falls.
Thanks Karen…hopefully I will have better luck in South Dakota later this month.

Glenn

I like how the image draws my eye toward the yellow light and mist in the rear. Just lovely!

You seem to be fairly flexible with your trips and you live near Lake Michigan. Did you consider checking online the timing of the fall color and waiting until it was better?

I like how the image draws my eye toward the yellow light and mist in the rear. Just lovely!

You seem to be fairly flexible with your trips and you live near Lake Michigan. Did you consider checking online the timing of the fall color and waiting until it was better?
Thanks Mike...

I was constantly monitoring the Fall color reports. I even pushed my trip back a week when reports were indicating that the peak colors were coming late. When I left, the expectation was that the colors would hit peak sometime in the middle of my trip. Much of that depends on the area, too. The colors come from West to East, from North to South, from inland to the coast, and from the higher elevations down. My trip included a large area of the state, so I thought I would have some luck with at least a portion of the trip.

There's a reasonable chance that the colors won't come at all. Some reports indicated that with the hot temperatures and lack of rain, that most of the leaves might just turn brown and fall in the wind. That's what happened that last few years here in the Chicago area.

Unfortunately, I usually don't have much flexibility with the trips. I had to be back by October 1st.

Glenn

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom