Boo

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by beaucamera, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Now that fall is finally here and my camera's in the shop, there's plenty of time try new things with what you've got. The theme here is Halloween. This is a blend of several images on of which uses the PS filter, polar coordinates. Anybody else ever tried this filter? You can really create some interesting effects. May I encourage you to give it a whirl! :cool:

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

2. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Virginia,
    I'm generally not a big fan of special effects, but the colors and patterns make this an interesting image.

3. Hang that image on your front door Virginia and you probably won't get any Trick or Treaters. :wink: :smile:

4. Thanks, Bob and Gordon. I'm glad you enjoyed my tom foolery. I'm going to get this printed and matted today. I'm participating in a small local arts and crafts faire tomorrow. Let's see if anyone else thinks my montage is interesting enought to purchase!

If there are any local SF Bay area people who would like to stop by, the faire being held Saturday from 12-2 at the Ladera Shopping Center on Alpine Road just off 280 (near Stanford).

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Oh that's nice Virginia! I tried looking at this last night but all I was getting was the 'red x' symbol. The 'bowl?' texture looks great - not at all what I would expect from polar coodinates. You've put what I've always considered a weird filter to great use!

6. Very nice. You inspired me to create this:

Filter fun

7. Thanks, Chris. I thought you might like to see the background image I started with.

This is what you get when the polar coordinates filter is used.

I assembled two of the resulting images to get that "bowl" effect.

Photoshop gives us a lot of options and I just want to encourage people to try a few and see what they can come up with.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

8. Okay, Beezle, clue us in. :wink: What is this and what tricks did you use to come up with this image?

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

9. Hi Virginia...I never knew about this filter until you mentioned it. It reminds me of a fish eye lens which I want to buy next right along with the 85 1.4 lens.

Thanks for the tip and I will post one later using this filter.

10. That is the mantle of a large slug of some sort. Filter used was "fresco."

11. Wow, Steve, that is just gorgeous! :smile: How'd you get that beautiful color? Remember?

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

P.S. You must have one heck of a filing system if you were able to dig around and find this image. Impressive.

12. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Wow - that is totally wild! I remember polar coordinates from math. The curves not only looked artistic, but mathematicians of old had given them very colorful names. It's good to see that you're carrying on the art/math traditions!

Steve: those gears are a RIOT!! I love 'em!

13. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    You've posted such interesting results using 'Polar Coordinates' that I just had to fool with it..(even though know nothing about PS)-- came up with this Anhinga picture and think it might be my next avatar:)

Virginia, thanks for the great ideas you present. Good luck selling your picture tomorrow. My brother lives a few blocks from Stanford. I'll let him know about the faire..

[​IMG]

14. Gale, that is pretty interesting. Aren't you glad you gave this a try!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

15. Another Example of the Use of Polar Coordinates

Here's another example of the use of the PS filter, polar coordinates. The top half of the image below is my orginal image. The bottom half is the same image after applying the polar coordinates filter 3 times. Don't be afraid to use this filter multiple times on an image. You'll find it's a pretty powerful tool.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

P.S. This is the stem of a giant Atlantic pumkin!

16. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Here's my lap pool with the black tile line in the center of the picture. It looks like I'm looking down a hole in this picture.

I have to stop playing with this filter now and go get some work done.

Virginia, thanks to you for sharing this idea.

[​IMG]

Two Snowy Egrets

[​IMG]

17. Gaye. I think you've got the "bug". Nice work. :smile: :smile: :smile:

Virginia
    aka beaucamera