Book Match marble

Well, I have been on this college campus 2 weeks, and have been taking a few pics, guess I am a bit bored so fiddled with the contrast on this early morning shot. This was my third attempt at this lovely marbled structure, first time was wrong lens, then bad light. This was still not what I wanted, so I played with it a bit. I sort of like it, really brings out the veining in the marble, which was my focus to start with.

large.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I do not know enough about it to properly explain, but I moved the curves around in CS2 on the upper end. There was blue sky and early morning sun on the left, and clouds on the right. It pulled the color out of the clouds, and push the contrast, making the yellow.

Very cool shot Tom!
Looks like artwork.
I like the seperation between the building and the sky.

I see a face of some sort in the bottom middle panel.

MikeT

I'll be the voice of dissent, then. :smile: There's too much going on here for me to appreciate any of it. Just my tuppence.

Thanks all for your comments, and Bill you are clearly in a majority, albeit silent. If the CC icon is used, I would think there would be more comments. Heck you are not going to hurt this old guys feelings. When time permits, I will shot it again in different light.

Yes, to me it is a strong, if that is a good use of the word, in your face pic. If I could isolate the building I would, but do not have those skills. The pic was shot with a 12/24 and my back was against another building, so the lens distortion filter was used a great deal.

Would, it make a difference if the sky was the same on each side? Don't know if thats possible.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Interesting shot, but the sky and background areas take my eyes away from the main subject. One thought might be to try a square crop closer to the subject, while converting the entire sky to BW, and leaving the building in color, Just another idea.

building.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks for posting the critique icon, I do agree that this is a unique building worthy of much time.
Wade

Wow Wade I like that, now that is CC at it's best. Thanks. I could have cropped it, but the color would still have been a problem for me.
I guess you used layers, that is something I was going to learn while I am here, I have a box of books in the truck, just have not had a place to really work while I am here.

I do not know if there is much more i can do with the 12/24 lens, just not enough room to shoot. Once you get out of lens distort filter, there is not much vertical space left. I guess i could go downtown and get a 10mm:smile:

Latest threads

Top Bottom