Book with details about NX or NX2?

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by sonyam, Jul 30, 2008.

1. I am pretty proficient at photoshop, but with all the rave reviews of NX and NX2 for raw images I'd like to learn how to use it properly. I feel like a fish out of water every time I open it, and honestly change is painful for me, so I get overwhelmed and close it almost immediately. That may be the reason I ultimately chose the D700 over the D3. Less of a learning curve, LOL! Soooo.....anyone know of an NX book for dummies? Or an easy to follow beginners guide online somewhere?

2. Thank you! Do you have experience with it?

3. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Jason's Book

I have it and have completed about 2/3 of it - outstanding book, in my opinion. Thanks, Jason.

4. Maybe Vincent Versace's NX DVD's

or check out kelbytraining.com, its a awesome website, with a lot of great tutorials.

5. Sonya,
    I have been using CS3 for a while and can do many things with it.
    Out of curiosity, I tried NX2 and found how much easier it was to process my images, plus they looked much better coming out of NX2 than CS3. I have since purchased Jason's excellent ebook and went through most of it. I'm still using the trial version but I took to NX2 like a duck takes to water.

Keep in mind that there are many things you can't do in NX that you can in PS. So keep PS as a compliment to NX in case you need to do some additional editing.

MikeT

6. Sonya, I've used Jason's eBooks for NX and NX2 and they're both terrific. I think the NX2 eBook is even better than his first one. It's clear, concise, and provides files that you use to replicate the steps in his tutorials. I keep a hard copy of the NX2 book within arm's reach of my computer. I highly recommend it.

I rave about the combination of NEFs and NX2. Lots of fun!

Having said all of that, though you mention that you're "proficient" with PhotoShop, you're much more than proficient with it. You understandably mention that you don't like change. I would be willing to bet that if you show a slide show to 100 photographers of images that you would produce on Photoshop along with those that you would produe on Capture NX2, that nobody would notice the difference.

7. Thanks everyone. I have tried to like NX2, and spent a while today TRYING to get it and I can't. I'll go look at some online stuff, and then in the end probably go back to photoshop once my 60 day trial is up. I appreciate the feedback!

8. Sonya, Dr Jay is a frequent contributor to this forum. His books and his advice are tops!

9. That's completely understandable. You have to unlearn everything you know about PhotoShop and start over because the concepts are SO different in Capture NX. That's so much so that Rich Gibson regularly refers to it as a paradigm shift.

If you don't tackle some of the basic concepts by using Nikon's tutorials or somebody's tutorials, I don't think you'll ever "get it" by trying it out by playing around. As a perfect example, I know you've mastered PhotoShop's USM, so beware that Capture's USM uses completely different algorhythms that require completely different numeric parameters.

10. Sonya, I can understand your frustration as I think Photoshop experience works against you! I'm in the opposite camp, I consider myself proficient in NX and I find Photoshop to be a bear to learn and its masking and layering techniques to be coompletely non-intuitive. But what I think you will find that you can get to the "ah ha" moment following a structured tutorial like Jason Odell's book or some of the other options. As Mr. Buckley said, you will don't follow a tutorial you will probably never get there. Couple recommendations:
    1) skip NX and try only NX2 (more intuitive, faster, much better masking control)
    2) Purchase Jason Odell's book (already mentioned) and just walk thru it. Or use one of the DVDs from Versace.

The non-destructiveness of NX and NX2 edits, plus the optional plugins from Nik (Color Efex Pro for example), make it very addictive once proficient
    Regards,
    Peter G

11. Welcome to the Cafe, Peter! Feel free to call me Mike. :smile:

12. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Sonya

I can sympathize. I had that difficulty with NX 1 but Jason's new book turned on the light. I kept NX2 open on one monitor and Jason's book on the other and suddenly the light turned on (for me). My new work flow is download with Photo Mechanic into a Watch Folder, open in NX2, execute several common/standard steps, save in TIF, finish in PhotoShop CS3. I am still refining that process but I believe I have found my spot.

13. Thank you everyone. Now I don't feel like I'm completely brain dead. I worked hard to get to where I am with photoshop, but I remember having the same complaints at first with it. I wanted to throw my hands up in defeat and go back to whatever cheap program I was using before. I have the 60 day trial of NX2, so I'm giving it that long to at least feel useable. I know it will get easier with time and practice, but as of this moment it's beyond frustrating.

14. jgatscher

jgatscher

Jul 29, 2008
    Nashville
    Sonya

I once considered myself a proficient PS user and then stumbled upon NX back in 06...so I gave it a try and my reaction was WOW...at that time I didn't have the benefit of any ebooks....but I found the software so intuitive from the reference frame of a photographer....now when I go back to PS to play with it...I can't believe the fundamental difference between the two...PS was always intended as a graphic artist tool and IMHO NX is intended as a photographer's digital darkroom tool...plus NX (and NX2) will output superior NEFs compared to ACR + PS....if Nikon ever gets the speed issues fixed and adds more flexibility in selection masks (like inverting the mask)....PS will loose a big chunk of its user base...

15. I'm sure that's true....I just have to dig in deeper and figure it out. It's just not intuitive to me at all. I can't even figure out how to custom change white balance, and the speed thing makes me crazy!

16. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Tutorial

Sonya, have you downloaded the two Microsoft files that Mike Buckley recommended in his "Interim Tutorial" in the Sticky section? I found they helped the speed of the software significantly.

17. This was a duplicate post that I deleted. Sorry about that!

18. Thanks for the nod, but I only edited Tom's fabulous tutorial because English is not his native language. The tutorial you are mentioning is here. It applies to Windows users and I don't remember the OS that Sonya uses.

As for the speed issue, I don't have a basis of comparison because I don't use CS3, which I think Sonya uses. Many people have commented that while certain individual operations require less computer processing time in PhotoShop, the overall amount of time to post-process an image in Capture NX2 may take no more time and possibly less time due to other advantages of using NX2.

19. Sonya, I've just gotta ask: Are you going into the program trying to figure it out on your own or are using either tutorials or help screens to figure it out? If you're not doing the latter, your best bet is to simply give up, stick with PhotoShop and continue making those beautiful images that you're so well known for producing.

You couldn't have figured out PhotoShop completely on your own in the beginning either, at least not without going crazy in the process.

I know White Balance is important to you. (I sure wish I had your great eyes for producing the perfect White Balance.) Adjusting White Balance is particularly easy and effective in NX2 once you know the simple steps. I know that's true because if I can do it, anybody can do it.