Bookworms.... Mindless fun

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Candidcameraman, Jun 30, 2007.

1. I had not read a full book in about 3 years, then I picked up a mindless fun but totally bad book... Don't laugh, "Rose Madder" by Stephen King, it was there and free... Read it from cover to cover and I have now a new found love for reading. Started a second book right after.

I guess, either I like mindless fun like a Stephen King book or b.) It takes me a mindless book once every so often to make me want something a little more challenging.

No, this is not a recommendation for "Rose Madder" quite the contrary, what a bad book :eek: But it sure gave me back my love of reading.

Actually I started reading a lot as a teenager when I read almost all of Stephen King's book. So there you go. Not a put down but a sorta/kinda kudos to S.K. for inspiring me to read again once more.

2. Hey, mindless books aren't all that bad! :smile: During the summer, I hit the library once a week... usually on my short list of checked out books, I get one non-fiction, one biography, one photography, and one novel. Whatever inspires you to read... Good job, Dude, now keep up the reading! :biggrin:

3. I read a lot, and I often go through periods where I read nothing but fluff. It's all good! Right now I'm starting book 5 of the Harry Potter series, attempting to re-read them all before the big final release later this month. I tend to find an author I like and then read everything I can find by that person.

4. My wife owns a bookstore and on their job application there are, among others, two questions:

"Who are your favorite authors?" and "What do you read for junk-food reading?" Guess which list is more indicative of true reading habits?

Currently my favorite author (and junk food read) is Neal Stephenson; especially his book "Cryptonomicon", one of the best (and longest) adventure novels ever. Something to get fully lost in.

5. I go through reading droughts during the school year. Then, during the summers or winter holidaze, I'll read an article, or a book and I can't stop reading. I'll be in a reading frenzy for 2-3 weeks, then I'm back to normal.

Last year - during Chrismas break, I read three Grisham books, The Maltese Falcon, and The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test.

6. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    May I recommend Wilfred Thesiger's 'The Marsh Arabs'.

Thesiger wrote about the tribes of the Euphrates and Tigris. They lived on rafts of reed and built wonderful reed houses. Their lives and livelihoods were wrecked when Hussein had the waters of the rivers diverted. The book evokes another time and place.

His first book, 'Arabian Sands' covered the period of years he spent in the 'Empty Quarter' with his guides and companions. It is not as well written as The Marsh Arabs, but conveys, vividly his struggles and life in the desert.

He was an eccentric of the first high water; he was also a determined character, he never gave up when he had set his mind to achieve a goal. It's a time that has now gone, but not all that long ago.

Boys own stuff for big boys. :smile:

For total insomniacs, try Leonardo Da Vinci, The Flights of the Mind; Charles Nicholl. This is an exhaustively researched biography.

7. Logan

Logan Guest

when i can find the time i love to read, some of my favorites: The Dogs of Babel, The Lovely Bones, The Five People You meet in Heaven.... amongst many others... i dont really like long books i like quick GOOD reads that hold my interest and keep the pages turning...

8. I try to read two or three books a month.

9. satelite seven

satelite seven

May 14, 2006
    london
    Nothing wrong with "Rose Madder" IMHO whatever floats one boat, that is important!!!