Boost vs. Saturation?

Ok - I apologize if it is a lame question - what is the difference between color boost and saturation?

Ok - I apologize if it is a lame question - what is the difference between color boost and saturation?

:biggrin: As far as I know, "boost" has no formally recognized meaning with respect to any color model. On the other hand, saturation is (or, at least can be) specifically defined with respect to each color model. [Saturation can have different formal meanings in different color models. For example, the "S" in the HSV model, measured at a point, is not necessarily the same as the "S" measured at the same point using the HSL model.]

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe Color Boost is Nikon's attempt to mimic "Vibrance" in Lightroom (and maybe Photoshop?), which increases the gamma and contrast of the image without overly impacting typical skin tones. I haven't spent a lot of time using it, as I usually am either adjusting saturation of a given color or area of the photograph.

I believe Color Boost is Nikon's attempt to mimic "Vibrance" in Lightroom (and maybe Photoshop?), which increases the gamma and contrast of the image without overly impacting typical skin tones. I haven't spent a lot of time using it, as I usually am either adjusting saturation of a given color or area of the photograph.

"Vibrance" is another ill-defined term -- I've seen it used with respect to changes in the HSL saturation.

saturation works on all colors,boost is supposed to increase the subtle colors more then the already brighter colors.

Color Boost allows you the ability to retain skin tones, limiting the changes made to the the color spectrum. To do this with saturation, would require selective editing.

On a side note, and without any real testing my general impression is that the the boost also places emphasis on specific color channels. For example, it seems to substantially affect the blue channel, both with and without the skin protection option on.

I agree with dubbing these as ill-defined terms. :biggrin:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom