Boot of autumn leaves

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by daodang, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Playing with PSCS in a dull Sunday. The picture was taken on a walk in the forest with my wife.

original.

What do you think?

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice image.

Since you are "playing" in PS.

It needs a touch of something. Not sure what though.

I took a few minutes and ran a couple actions on that..

See what you think. They are coming up on pbase darker than they are. They really have a glow...

Actions are from
    www.atncentral.com
    Daves Midnight action set and Feivels Gothic Glow are the two I used.
    From Daves I used midnight blue and midnight gold. On the gold I turned the opacity to 0.
    Feivels I just let it run ...

Midnight gold and Gothic glow look quite similar.
    Midnight gold does the frame as well.

See what you think.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2005
  3. Dao, I really like the way the colorful leaves are spread out. It's almost as if it were a smile to welcome us into the photo. Thanks for sharing.

4. I agree. May be it's lack a constrast of colors (some green or blue), may be the background is dull..... I will try some textures, artistic effects or exagerate the colors.

5. Hi Gordon, thanks for the appreciation. I suspect that you and I are somehow mentally connected :smile: . A smile is exactly what I have in mind when I began to darken the background to create the shape. But somehow on the way, a boot shape appears and I stay with it. I will try the smile idea.

6. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Dao, very nice capture and PS "playing". I think that Gale's first image perhaps does a tad better job muting the background and popping the colors for better separation, almost a 3 dimensional look. Of course these types of images are very personal and what works in one person's mind may not in others'. In any event, both of you have done very well with this image and I only wish that I could "see" these kinds of photos.
    My best,

7. Gale, I like the #1 and #3 rendition. Thanks for taking time to improve the picture, my friend. I will go to Action central to download these actions and see what effect they will do on some «ordinary» pictures I had.

8. Jerry, thanks for looking and commenting. I'm in a kind of learning process to «break free» from what my eyes see. Since I don't have any tutor, I'm wandering a lot, trying this and trying that. But it's fun!

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thank You Dao,
    Glad you like the addition of some added fun :>))

There a lot of free actions written there by the forum members of the Retouching forum on DPR.. My other hang out.
    I have so much to learn eeeeeekkkkkkk

If you ever want to learn how to do something in PS those are the guys to ask (gals to ) :>))

Very helpful, very nice and not Trolls in that room.....

10. You got a nice image out of an otherwise dreary day here - nicely done!

11. FishSauce

FishSauce

Aug 10, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Great capture, very artistic

12. Ben, thank you for the appreciations.

13. A great thank, Frits. One must do what he can in adverse conditions... and it's still raining. :mad:

14. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  15. The leaves once they fall to the ground loose their colors fast, i bring some inside to take pictures of them when i can find some nice ones. On my street there a lot of maple trees but since 2 years they do not have nice colors mainly green and yellow. Soon they will take out the heavy artillery to pick all of those, a payloader or like last year a snowblower to fill the trucks.