Bosque 2007 - HOTELS ARE FILLING FAST FOR NOV4-9

Discussion in 'Birds' started by GonzoBernelli, Jul 26, 2007.

1. At http://www.texasphotoforum.com and at my camera club http://www.hpsonline.org I have mentioned a trip to BOSQUE DEL APACHE this year. There are a number of TPF'ers who think Nov 3 - 11 is pretty good as it avoids the Crane Festival and the colder temperatures after Thanksgiving. The know of my membership here as well, so if you need a reason to go to the BOSQUE this year, here it is.

BTW, PJohnP will be posting some suggested sites to visit along the way for those of us going from Houston by road.

Hope to see you there!

IF YOU ARE GOING, YOU HAD BETTER BOOK A ROOM - THEY ARE GOING FAST

HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS IS FULL
    SAN MIGUEL MOTEL IS FULL

I BOOKED A ROOM AT ECONO LODGE THIS MORNING AND ROOMS WERE STILL AVAILABLE

BOOK HERE: http://www.adspecific.com/hotels/us-nm-socorro.html

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2007
  2. Hey Nick. Good idea to plan ahead. Early in November would not have the peak bird counts, as you can see here. Even so, there will be birds, and you would also get the last of fall colors in the cottonwoods at that time. I'm looking forward to your visit!

3. I'm glad I spotted this, my wife and I are visiting Colorado and New Mexico from the UK in October this year - we will be at Bosque on October 23rd and 24th. Have you got any advice tips that may help us get the best from our visit? As well as my camera gear we will have a small scope together with our binoculars.

4. Warm clothes, temperatures can be cold in the morning (near freezing), so hiking boots, gloves, touque, warm coat; but highs in low 50's so dress in layers so some can be stripped off during the day.

200-400mm of lens (others with direct experience may chime in - but I'm taking 300mm and 400 mm + all 3 TC), low light capable wide angle (I'm taking 10.5mm, 12-24mm, 30mm f1.4, maybe others), bean bag for window or roof or bonnet or boot (just the bag, as you can fill it (rice, dried corn kernels or pinto beans) on arrival the dump it as bird food when you leave). Something to keep your equipment dry in case of rain, snow or goose poop!

Stay is Socorro, NM and it is a 25 minute commute to the Bosque. Be in the Bosque well before sun rise and be prepared to stay until near dark. There should be some lingering summer birds and some early arrivals of the winter crowd. There may even be coyote, deer or elk.

5. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Dave :

I'm traveling on business right now, but I'll start to assemble some information for you and others when I get home. Drop me a PM with your particular interests (e.g., art, museums, slot canyons, birds), and I can focus this a bit more exactly.

John P.

6. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Nick :

There's going to a need for some info on how long people want to take getting out to the Bosque, number of stops, and so on for me to offer significant advice.

But I'll be glad to offer that advice ! :biggrin:

John P.

7. That's very good advice, sounds just like visiting a British wetland at the same time of year. I will be taking a 12-24, 24-85 3.5/4.5 and 80-400VR and bean bag for my end ocober visit.

8. Thanks I will send PM.

9. John,
    My trip can vary going or coming. There may or may not be ride-alongs. White Sands is one place I'd like to stop so I can juggle times to arrive for and evening shoot and depart after the morning shoot, staying overnight Alamogordo.

As to what is available in the Bosque vicinity - I know of the VLA, and you have mentioned slot canyon(s) - presumably these can be visited between the morning fly-out and evening fly-in?

I'm tired of the I-10 corridor, so am planning a diferent route, just so see some different scenere (if West TX can actually have some?). Planning on going NW from Houston to Abilene/Big Spring to Hobbs. Spend the night. West to Artesia, up to Roswell and west to Carrizozo and San Antonio/Socorro. Probably South on I-25 to 82, over to White Sands/Alamogordo. Then up to Cloudcroft, and Artesia south to Carlbad, Pecos & Fort Stocton. and home.

Looking now at 9 days total, maybe 3-4 days at Bosque and environs, maybe a day trip north the see some of David and "his" horses and visit SF and you & yours if you are in-town (it is only 3 hours north).

So, given the route, what would you suggest? Limiting to say one ot tow +/- 50 mile side trips going and coming to Bosque.