Critique Bosque blur, last one for a while

Another blur from the first morning. I like to play with these just because they are different.
I have enough sharp frozen birds in flight, hundreds of them from each day. The blurry ones are always a little different.
I need enough blur that it does not look like an accident, yet not too much that nothing is sharp.
I throw a lot of these away, but every once in a while they work- and I find these more interesting than the sharp high shutter speed images.
This stay at home isolation is forcing me to go through lots of old images.
Thoughts
Gary

bosque tues 2031_DxO.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Philip Armitage
I really like it. Quite surprised that the 1/13s, thought it would have been slower but then I saw the 600mm and of course at that focal length the blur is exaggerated. Nice to see some of the heads and eyes look sharp

I have been experimenting with longer shutter speeds and long glass- over 400mm- for years.
In my opinion, you need enough blur that it does not look like an accident, enough that it is a statement.
At the same time, something important needs to be sharp and fairly obvious.
Anything under 1/60 starts to get into those criteria. From there, the longer the shutterspeed of coarse the more blur, but a dramatic decrease in keepers. 1/15 or so is my sweet spot, a little slower if motion is predictable like the pond takeoffs at Bosque.
I am noticing the colors pop a little too much on the net. These are destined to be printed on a matt paper, and I have an action that pops the colors alittle for matt prints-makes them print normal.
Thanks all
Gary

Gary, I think it's beautiful. There are enough sharp heads and eyes in there to give you the context needed to really enjoy the photo. The sharp, frozen in the air flight photos are technically impressive, but this one has a lot of soul and really conveys the motion of flight wonderfully!!

Another blur from the first morning. I like to play with these just because they are different.
I have enough sharp frozen birds in flight, hundreds of them from each day. The blurry ones are always a little different.
I need enough blur that it does not look like an accident, yet not too much that nothing is sharp.
I throw a lot of these away, but every once in a while they work- and I find these more interesting than the sharp high shutter speed images.
Thoughts
Gary

View attachment 1657714
Very nice! Just the right amount of blur!

Real Name
Tony Saya
Thoughts
Gary

View attachment 1657714
Beautifully done

Latest threads

Top Bottom