Bosque del Apache in October?

We'll be in the Albuquerque, NM area over the weekend of October 5, and our schedule immediately after is flexible. I see that Bosque del Apache is only about 90 minutes south of Albuquerque, so I was wondering how good the bird photography is at that time of year?

Also, does anyone have any tips for where to shoot from, etc?

Thanks!

That's a little early for sandhills - at that time the Rocky Mountain Population of cranes are typically hanging out in the San Luis Valley of Colorado on their way south. It's about 3.5 hours north of Albuquerque. I don't know about the timing of other species though.

Sean

Thanks, Sean - but that would be a bit too far out of our way.

Anyone know whether a stop at Bosque in early October would be worthwhile?

Real Name
Randy
2 awesome places actually better than BDA IMO are White Sands and Tent Rock

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Thanks, Sean! Based on this, I'm going to stop in San Luis Valley on our way from Colorado Springs to Albuquerque! If you have any other info, please let me know!

2 awesome places actually better than BDA IMO are White Sands and Tent Rock

Randy,

A quick look at the map indicates that White Sands is about 4 hours south of Albuquerque - a bit too much out of our way. But Tent Rock is substantially closer and not far from Santa Fe (which would be our next stop).

I never heard of Tent Rock. Can you tell me more about it, and what's it like in early October?

Thanks!

Thanks, Sean! Based on this, I'm going to stop in San Luis Valley on our way from Colorado Springs to Albuquerque! If you have any other info, please let me know!

Sure Karen; there are 3 NWR in the SLV; the refuge where the cranes congregate is south of Monte Vista. There's one auto loop and a shooting platform - the cranes gather there overnight but not nearly as tight as you see at Bosque, but you won't be squeezed in a sea of tripod legs either. During the day you can drive around the Monte Vista area to see the cranes feed in the crop fields.

Also worth a visit is the Great Sand Dunes National Park - you'll see pronghorn, a few bison and elk and of course 700 ft. high dunes in front of the 14,000 ft. Sangre de Cristo range.

Sean

Real Name
Randy
Randy,

A quick look at the map indicates that White Sands is about 4 hours south of Albuquerque - a bit too much out of our way. But Tent Rock is substantially closer and not far from Santa Fe (which would be our next stop).

I never heard of Tent Rock. Can you tell me more about it, and what's it like in early October?

Thanks!

I was there in December but it shouldn't matter

http://www.blm.gov/nm/st/en/prog/recreation/rio_puerco/kasha_katuwe_tent_rocks.html

Real Name
Randy
Thanks for the info, Randy!

After you enter the park drive until the road ends and then take short walkway to your right.......there's a mini Grand Canyon at the end

The hoodoos are more at the entrance but there are some everywhere

This is some amazing LS shooting

I'll post some shots tomorrow when I get back to my computer

After you enter the park drive until the road ends and then take short walkway to your right.......there's a mini Grand Canyon at the end

The hoodoos are more at the entrance but there are some everywhere

This is some amazing LS shooting

I'll post some shots tomorrow when I get back to my computer

Please do......and do you know anything about the hike thru the slot canyon? Is it strenuous to get to?

Real Name
Randy
Please do......and do you know anything about the hike thru the slot canyon? Is it strenuous to get to?

I had an orthodo boot on my left foot so I couldn't hike much.....I think Glenn Nagel did that hike though

Real Name
Randy
From Tent Rocks it's only a hop, skip, and jump to Bandelier National Monument.

try to shoot the ABQ zoo, it's quite impressive for a zoo, we met Glenn there and ending up staying the whole day and blowing off our last day at BDA

DSC_2468-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC_5489-L.jpg

DSC_5193-L.jpg

DSC_5254-L.jpg

DSC_5337-L.jpg

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom