Bosque del Apache

Discussion in 'Birds' started by GaryW, Jan 2, 2006.

1. GaryW

GaryW Guest

Hi folks,

I just returned from a trip to Bosque del Apache in NM.

Shortly after getting there, I realized I should have at least a 500mm lens. The best (I thought) I could come up with was my Tamron 200-400mm with a 2X TC on it. Bad thought. Most appeared out of focus or generally otherwise unacceptable.

A few that I am not embarrassed to show are at:

http://willsononline.com/bosque

Happy New Year to everyone.

Gary

2. Gary,
    I know how dissapointing it can be to go to one of the greatest photo destinations and not come back with the images you thought you had.
    The images on the link you provided are very good, definately enjoyed them.
    I would love to go there myself.
    Dave

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gary,

Not bad shots posted on your site which BTW is very nice. Did you develop it yourself?

I've concluded based on my own experience as well as the shots posted here that I also need a 500+ lens for my birding. Just have to save a little. :rolleyes:

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Gary,
    You came home with some beautiful images. I looked through them and I would be proud :>)))

Happy New Year to You.....

5. GaryW

GaryW Guest

Thanks, Frank and the others.

Frank, yes, I developed my website. I use Dreamweaver MX, but I only use the basic stuff.

After reading the price of the Nikon 500mm, I realized that I can't get that lens. I have been reading up on the Sigma 500mm/f4.5 at half the price, and the reviews are excellent. The only drawback I can see is that you lose automatic focus if you have a TC on.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Gary there is a Sigma 50-500 for sale in our for sale forum :>)))

7. GaryW

GaryW Guest

Thanks for the heads up, Gale. But, I think, this time, I want a prime lens for maximum sharpness. The Sigma 500 f/4 is listed at $4,100 at B&H. I can probably get it a little cheaper someplace else.

8. I've been considering that lens myself. Adorama had the same lens listed at $3699 IIRC.

Don

9. Kevin Rosenberg

Kevin Rosenberg

May 10, 2005
    Nice web page, Gary. I especially liked the White Sands photo.