Bosque from a *non* bird photographer

Hey all! It’s been forever since I’ve posted in the cafe, and almost certainly my first time in the bird section. I’ve been busy trying to make a living with my camera and it’s taken me some exciting places for sure. One of the more unexpected results is that I’ve found myself leading photo workshops with Road Scholar for the past several years. A good friend of mine runs the non-profit provider that handles Colorado and surrounding state’s continued education/adventure-travel type trips and I’m one of the designated “camera guys” with a bus drivers license.

That means I help organize and run Bosque Del Apache workshops once a year out of Socorro NM. Obviously many of you know what it’s all about in Bosque, and just a short few years ago I was taking it all in for the first time myself.

Coming from less of a bird photographer and more of a (literally) everything else photographer it was a humbling experience but over the years I’ve felt like I’ve had the chance to grow even further as a photographer and capture the spirit of Bosque with my own vision while learning a heck of a lot along the way.

Much of my time is spent tending to the groups needs, and helping with camera settings, compositional advice, and general photography tips, but one of the perks of the job is that I get to do a little of my own shooting as well. We’ve just wrapped up the trip and I can’t help but get excited about a handful of shots from our few days down there. Thankfully we have a bird expert along with to help ID the lesser known ones, but most of the big ones are easy enough.

I’ve recently switched completely away from Nikon gear to Sony for most of my work, but rented a D800 and 80-400 AF-S for the trip (Couldn’t get the D500 + 200-500 I wanted)

I’d love to hear some input from the veteran bird folks here. Like I said, I have made a career out of just about everything aside from bird photography but it’s easy to catch the ‘bug’.

Bosque-001.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Actually taken about 40miles North of Bosque at Bernardo during a scouting session.
Bosque-002.jpg

A pretty reliable Bald eagle perched on his favorite tree
Bosque-003.jpg

Great Blue Heron hanging out in the reeds
Bosque-004.jpg

Great Blue Heron with reflections/logs mimicking his 'yawn'
Bosque-005.jpg

Seemingly classic Bosque sunrise/silhouettes
Bosque-006.jpg

Sharpness test for 80-400 AF-S
Bosque-007.jpg

One of my favorites, love the landscape out there, and the little bit of glow on the wings makes it for me.
Bosque-008.jpg

Exciting little moment for the Coyote. Got scared away pretty quick.
Bosque-009.jpg

For people that haven't experienced a snow goose liftoff, the sensations are incredible.
Bosque-010.jpg
Couldn't have asked for a better full moon opportunity

Thanks all! It's my 3rd time in Bosque, and first time taking it a little more seriously w/gear ( I usually only bring a 70-200 ). We definitely had some wonderful opportunities but it seems each year brings out something a little different. We had some great roadrunner and javelina posing last year. Maybe i'll make a 'pt.2' to this post featuring last years

Convinced my wife to head down to Bosque this weekend, anyone been down there yet? How are things? She's never seen a liftoff or even a sandhill crane for that matter.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom