Boston Bruins Stanley Cup Champs !!!

As most can tell from my name I'm a huge hockey fan and even though I live in NY I've been a Boston Bruins fan since 1967 .... I can still remember as a 11 yr. old going to a drugstore with my parents and picking out a NHL Guide cause I knew they were going to be showing NHL games once a week on TV and I figured I'd better pick a team and learn about the players ...
Don't know why but I picked the Boston Bruins as my team (maybe because my school colors are black & gold) .... they were'nt that good then ( I believe they had'nt made the playoffs in 8-10 years) and I remember reading about some Orr kid that was suppose to be pretty good and that's who I picked and a couple years later I can still remember watching Bobby Orr score that cup clinching OT goal against St. Louis on TV with my parents and 2 years later another cup ....
Little did I know it would be 39 years before it would happen again and that I"d be there watching my own TV in my own house with my wife and 2 kids who were more happy for me than anything --- my daughter said "Happy Father's Day Dad " .....
I"m proud to say I've staunchly stuck by them all those years .... some good times, some very bad times , heartbreaking losses , years of heartbreak and now a championship !!!!
I'm emotionally drained and physically tired today but I'm at the top of the world ....
I know there's some Boston area folks on this board and certainly some New Englanders and I"m proud to say that the Stanley Cup today resides in Boston !!!!

ron

In all honesty, the Canucks should not have even been playing in a Game 7 as they were plain lucky to make it that far; the Bruins badly outplayed them, they had the goaltending and toughness to win. The better team won.

Congrats to the Bruins.

And shame on the Canucks fans for their behavior after the loss. They don't deserve to have a Stanley Cup Championship team in their city - EVER!

Ron - I live near Boston but am a Yankees and Giants fan. However, I am a huge Bruins fan!!!

Bert, I like to think the people who caused problems in V were just a bunch of drunks. Where were the police?

Bert, I like to think the people who caused problems in V were just a bunch of drunks. Where were the police?

Whether they were drunk or not is immaterial.

Did they riot in Miami when the Heat lost earlier this week? (And believe me - I hate to use that as an example to defend my point, as I was quite happy that the Heat lost.)

The riot was better than the game! (Canadian viewpoint)

Really! Four people stabbed and $xxx amount of property damage - all because your team lost - is better than the game?

I know that it's been almost 20 years since a Canadian team hoisted the Cup, and I understand the frustration, but C'mon! I really doubt that most Canadians share that view point. (At least, I hope not.)

If so, that's pretty sad.

With such behaviour, I'm just glad it's never going to be played again in Toronto in my lifetime! Toronto joke: Why did they build the hockey hall of fame in Toronto? So Torontonians will at least be able to see what the Stanley Cup looks like.

I meant that as a joke, albeit, a rather distasteful one. I'm just as embarrassed as the next guy about this riot - it's stupid. Just like the G20 riots we had last year here in Toronto.

With that said, I still had more fun watching the riot than the game.

this now leaves the Patriots w/ the longest championship drought around here, going back to 2005 :biggrin:

One report I read said that the public viewing area opened up at 12 noon, for a 5PM (Vancouver time) game...the police shut off the alcohol sales at 4PM (vancouver), but by then I have to think it was much too late.

On the classier side, the Rogers Arena mgmt let the Bruins stay on the ice for well over an hour after the award ceremonies, and even played some Boston songs like "Dirty Water".

I was really pulling for the Bruins. It will take awhile before the Todd Bertuzzi incident from a few years ago (and now the Horton hit and finger-biting) will let me look at the Canucks in a positive light.

Sean

And Luongo's legacy of choking when the pressure is on lives on.... but, did not matter if the Bruins scored 1 or 100, if you can't put the puck in the net no way you will ever win. I never was a Thomas fan, but he really played well when it counted.

Congrats to the Bruins, specially a Game #7 shot-out!

The riot, stabbing, car-burning and looting were a bit surprising though... Maybe they just needed a hug? :D

I must say, with all the excitement I forgot to come post here after the game. Thrilled would be an understatement and the Bruins and Red Sox (and to slightly lesser degree Celts and Pats) are like a religion for me. I've been waiting for over 27 years for this moment!

Next comes the long-awaited parade. My forward-thinking wife said "betcha they bring it by Fenway Park!" [afternoon game vs. Brewers], so she got me a pair of tickets that I will be using to take my dad, another long-suffering Bruins fan! Hopefully it happens and it is a great Father's Day for us!

Really! Four people stabbed and $xxx amount of property damage - all because your team lost - is better than the game?

I know that it's been almost 20 years since a Canadian team hoisted the Cup, and I understand the frustration, but C'mon! I really doubt that most Canadians share that view point. (At least, I hope not.)

If so, that's pretty sad.

It's not my team. I read somewhere that someone polled it and over 65 percent of canadians were pulling for the bruins. I don't even watch that garbage league, I follow major junior. I've given up watching a hockey league that is run by a basketball fan.

And most of the Bruins are Canadians. Up until 2002 no non-Canadian had even won the Conn Smythe. Lidstrom, Thomas, Zetterberg and Malkin are the only non-Canadians to ever be named MVP of the playoffs. Believe me Canada hasn't been shut out of anything.

With such behaviour, I'm just glad it's never going to be played again in Toronto in my lifetime! Toronto joke: Why did they build the hockey hall of fame in Toronto? So Torontonians will at least be able to see what the Stanley Cup looks like.

What's blue and white and lives in the basement? ;)

Latest threads

Top Bottom