Bottled water vs purifiers

Well, this should hopefully an interesting thread -
We've been buying bottled water since our water softener/purifier broke down. I'm tempted to get one of those britas or a pur - has anyone had any experience with either?

I have a 2 gallon Brita that I've been using for over 10 years. It's a bit of a pain to refill. But any purifier is a lot cheaper than bottled water. And better for the environment.

We have really good tap water here, but I started drinking filtered when my wife and I moved in together. Now even our comparatively good tap water tastes funny after filtered!

I try to avoid bottled water because it takes so much oil every year to produce the bottles, most still end up in landfills, and some have bisphenol-A. The few plastic reusable bottles we have are bpa free and are being replaced by stainless.

My in-laws use a Brita and it seems to work about as well as our inline filter.

The brita filters I've used, and I've also used the pur filter pitchers. They're OK. Not great by any means. Bottled water tastes better.

Before I moved I used a water distiller. You can't compare anything to distilled. There is no taste at all, and once you get used to distilled, even bottled water has an after taste. Plus, you're sure that it's clean, and doesn't have anything in it.

A lot depends on what you are trying to accomplish. In most places, it is perfectly safe to drink the water right out of the tap. Keep in mind that the filters in Brita and Pur type devices are a pretty minimal carbon based filter which decreases odors and tastes by polishing the water. The water where I live has a horrible taste and many dissolved solids. I use a reverse osmosis system for my drinking water. The cost is reasonable to install, and I change the prefilters twice a year and the RO membrane once a year. Another option if you want very pure water is a distiller, but these can be a hassle to use and require electricity.

I used one of those pitchers with filter some time ago, but it was too inconvenient. So last year I bought a GE water filter kit which they had at Home Depot and installed it as a separate tap in the kitchen. It works great.

We have used both Brita and PUR, I love our current pur as it just hooks on to the sink and with a little button it can be taken off...

The brita filters I've used, and I've also used the pur filter pitchers. They're OK. Not great by any means. Bottled water tastes better.

Before I moved I used a water distiller. You can't compare anything to distilled. There is no taste at all, and once you get used to distilled, even bottled water has an after taste. Plus, you're sure that it's clean, and doesn't have anything in it.

Bottled watter is nothing more than filtered city water with some minerals added.

Be careful of using distilled water as you aren't getting essential mineals. We have great tap water and still use the filter on the fridge.

Thanks for all your input y'all! Just for fyi - since I didn't say it in the beginning, our water out of the tap tastes horrible. We did have a rainsoft system but it's gonna be expensive repairing it.

Not accounting for taste which varies greatly, there is a lot more quality safety testing & control in tap water vs bottled water. The tap water in NVa is really good but I still have a 20 liter Polar Arctic Spring Water bottle & dispenser in the house. My kids drink both but prefer the Polar Spring because they like it straight up (no ice) cold. I tried the Brita filters but it's time consuming because it's water, water and only water for meals.

As much as possible, I discourage the small bottle (< 1 liter) water because it's obscenely expensive and not environmentally friendly. You pay dearly for the convenience factor.

Keep in mind that the filters in Brita and Pur type devices are a pretty minimal carbon based filter which decreases odors and tastes by polishing the water. The water where I live has a horrible taste and many dissolved solids. I use a reverse osmosis system for my drinking water. The cost is reasonable to install, and I change the prefilters twice a year and the RO membrane once a year. Another option if you want very pure water is a distiller, but these can be a hassle to use and require electricity.

+1, As he said, these water filters are nothing more than carbon filters. RO is the way to go.

You can send your water away to be sampled to find exactly what is in there if you desire.

Another vote for Brita. Takes the chlorine taste out of the city water here. I actually took a Brita filter apart and yes, the majority of it is charcoal but it also contains small beads.

"Brita filters contain a second ingredient called ion-exchange resin. These are tiny beads that exchange their ions for the ions in the water. This removes undesirable ions and replaces them with harmless ones. The carbon in the filter is meant to remove organic compounds. In contrast, the ion-exchange resin helps to remove inorganic material. This helps to reduce the presence of heavy metals in the water. Lead, a common contaminant in some water sources is filtered out by the ion-exchange resin."

As much as possible, I discourage the small bottle (< 1 liter) water because it's obscenely expensive and not environmentally friendly. You pay dearly for the convenience factor.

At times more expensive than gas (petrol for those of you who say colour and favour :wink:).

:biggrin:

Diane,

:m23: Bottled water vs purifiers????? :m23: Uhmm.. neither. That's the whole reason I paid the drill company to go all the way to the "big engine" down below. 514', extra heavy duty well pump, and it's the coldest, naturally soft water to come out of the tap.

For a very small fee, and a few miles of garden hose, we could hook ya up. ((Ya'll have to supply to the hoses.)) :wink::eek::tongue::biggrin::biggrin::m69:

Have used both the Brita and Pur on the faucet. Takes the chlorine smell out of the tap water. My wife uses it all the time. Out tap water is pretty good straight. I only use it for ice cubes.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom